Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dropped computer

• Please log in to reply

cs1024

cs1024

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
:) :) OK, I need your help.
About a month ago. I bought Compaq Presario PC 3gb sr5710y, Vista. I bought this at best buy. I have my points but I cant find my receipt. Either way...
In the middle of a move. My husband trying to handle more than he should, Dropped it on cement floor.
I do have power. The cd drive keep opening its door. But it does no boot up. I have pics and docs in it that is very important to me.
I also have a Dell Dimension 2400, on XP.
What can I do. Is there any way to use the hard drive or memory chip. Most important can I transfer my data to either my email or using a usb flashdrive.
In other words I have no idea what to do and how to at least get my personal folder.
Help... :)

Edited by cs1024, 30 March 2009 - 06:59 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you bought it at Bestbuy I would imagine you paid by check or credit card?
If so you can request a copy of the credit card reciept or a copy of the bank draft. That should be enough to have the best buy technical support within the store to take a look at it.
By the description you are saying it's possible that a ribbon has come off internally. Depending on where the impact point was it could be more damage.
Since the system is this new there would be no way to open the system without voiding any warranty you have on it. I have worked for computer companies and they adhere to the warranties very strictly. When you take it in you can request that they copy those folders and documents, pictures you need before doing any format or reinstall of software. This usually will cost you extra.
I will ask are you getting any type of post screen on the monitor at all? :)

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi. on screen, no im getting nothing. as for a receipt. well i paid cash. dummy me i should of put that receipt away. like i said i have myrewardsone. since i wasnt there i dont know exactly where the impact was.
do you think the hard drive is damaged. i guess the cd drive is cause all it does is open its door over and over.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible that the hd has been damaged. If the cdrom took the blunt of the hit then yes its mechanism is most likely damaged beyond repair.
If this is the case then you would have to pay for a replacement as I'm sure husband dropping is not a covered warranty item.
I would be happy to help but as I said before, since the system is brand new no tech will break the factory seal on the system as it will void any warranty. Only a Compaq authorized service center can do that and save your warranty.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im guessing this is pretty much on me now. a dropped item i have no idea if its covered by warrenty or not.
if its not. i love to know if i can use the parts of it.
first of all i will probaby call best buy and see what they say. that is a start.

if i have to pay for it. i might as well as save up and get a new one. the same computer.
but i would love to know how to check if the hard drive is damage and if i can use any other parts on the computer to the new computer when i get one.

but my files for now are of importance to me big time.
i would love to know how can i check if this drive is damage or not.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it's not covered then they can give you a estimate to what the damages are and how much it will cost to fix.
I would be surprised if its more then a cdrom drive and maybe the hd. In any event you should be able to request they copy your data that u want to a new drive if you go that way.
The other option is if you do in the end buy a new system then what you can do is purchase a external hd enclosure and then you can connect the drive to usb or esata connector and try to pull your data off that way.
First I would allow bestbuy to take a look at it. :)

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i probably go that route and let best buy look at it.
i have a lot of pictures and data i hate to loose it.
it would probably take a couple of months to save up and get another pc. since cost is a factor now. do you or anyone here give/or take approx know how much best buy charges for this type of service. if the hd is damage and the only way is to transfer the data approx how much would this cost. dang i just spend 500 down the drain.

in any event. what is the best way to copy data and pictures besides on a cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A typical 250 gig hd in sata configuration will run between 45 and 50 dollars.
High end types can range over 100
Being this is a compaq it maybe a little more then the average.
Internal sata dvd drive with lightscribe can run anywhere between 40 and 120 depending on make and model.
So on the high end you are probably looking at 200-300
Low end less then 200
I hope this helps.
You can always purchase a external drive and copy all important data to that.

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 March 2009 - 08:37 AM.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wow. ok if i purchase a external hd.
what do i do then. im a dummy here. how do i do this.
what is a esata connector to pull the data.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It plugs into a port on the front or back of computer.
It won't do much good till you can get the system running first
Esata is the new technology on drives now.
It's like usb but faster. If you look on the front of the case I believe you will see some connectors on it. They should be something like
2 sata\usb\ firewire\audio
can be a different combination but that should be the average types
Most important is to get the system running first. Then get the external drive.
If you need more info please let me know.

Advertisements

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the big question is how do i get the system running in the first place.
i have power. it does turn on. but how do i get to boot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be something as simple a lose cable inside or as bad as a damaged hd or motherboard. There is no way to tell without taking it in and having the technician diagnose the problem.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:)
dang. it looks like im back to square one. i doesnt look or sound good.
ok if i happen to open the unit. what do i look for.
1--how can i tell if its a bad mother board.
2--how can i tell if its a bad hd.
3--is there any other way to just read the hd. is it a dum idea to take the hd from my compaq and put it in my dell. if i can do that then what. im trying to get as much information as possible to save money.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I cannot advise you to do that as it is against GeeksToGo policy and Terms Of Agreement to do it.
I'm sorry but as I said before no tech will break a manufacturers warranty on a brand new system.

cs1024

cs1024

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok. i wont.
is there any other way to tell if its the mother board or a hard drive issue.