Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System File corrupt

• Please log in to reply

JJWiedl

JJWiedl

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Upon boot, the message the file c:\windows\system32\config\system is either corrupt or cannot be read was displayed. I restored the system file from c:\windows\repair, but now I cannot connect to the internet and my display driver seems to be gone. I get this message on startup Net Service Configuration - The specified service does not exist as an installed service".

Advertisements

JJWiedl

JJWiedl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Graphics driver reinstalled from Dell disk. That looks better. Copied important files of to a backup disk. Still can't figure out what network service is missing. Anyone have any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Need some info
Make\model of system
OS system
How old is system.
Ram amount
Hd total and free space
Any new programs and or drivers installed right before this started. You said you restored the system file, what was the reason for doing this? Any error message that you decided to do a restore of system file?

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 March 2009 - 08:20 AM.

JJWiedl

JJWiedl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you and good to hear from you...
Some more background:

My computer failed to boot with a message roughly that it could not read or that the file was missing - C:\windows\system32\config\system

This happened after connecting to a wireless network (that I paid for) while on vacation. The system was working fine for 2 days and then failed.

I did some research and finally restored that file from Windows\repair.

After that I saw that I had lost my driver for my graphics. Before I did anything, I backup up my files to a USB drive. I then reinstalled the graphics from the DELL disk that came with the computer.

Now the graphics are fine. but, the network adapter does not show up in the Device Manager.

After restoring the system (a much smaller file that was on the machine) The audio driver was also not there. It installed fine.

The system is a DELL Inspiron 1150 with 512 Mb Ram. it is about 4 years old and has an 80GB disk with 47 GB free. The info says it is XP SP 1 and I am sure it was sp3, but the system file fix brought it back?

If there is anything else, please let me know and I'll add to this info. Thank You.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TO check and make sure what Sp you have go to
Start>right click on my computer
Post the info except for registration information on that window

JJWiedl

JJWiedl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1