Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank User Accounts - XP Home

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm trying to get an XP Home laptop working for someone - it's one of those deals where a boss gave an employee his old laptop, but failed to mention it didn't work, nor did it come with the disks (I think he'd lost them). He just wants this for his kids to play games. Initially, I couldn't even create a new user account, as it would crash whenever I accessed the user accounts in Control Panel. I created an rc.iso cd and ran chkdsk /r, which repaired some sectors on the hard drive. I can now open User Accounts, but it's blank. I have Googled this issue and tried every solution I could find - registered jscript.dll, vbscript.dll, mshtml.dll, and nusrmgr.cpl, tried the steps listed here, and downloaded and run this. By typing control userpasswords2 in the run box I was at least able to add a new account, but I'd like to get the user accounts window working again.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Few days ago we had a thread in which the OP had login problems caused by virus. It would start login and immediately log out. The OP successfully tried a method detailed here. He was left with some other problems but at least had a bootable and running computer.

The method involves creating two disks from files downloaded from the above link. I made myself the disks but didn't try them yest. Since login problems are very common I find this method interesting. Maybe this will help you too.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's not a loop - I can login. There's just a blank window when I go to Control Panel > User Accounts - it only has Home, Back, and Forward buttons in it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
can't you run sfc /scannow or XP repair with a borrowed XP Home disk?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If I can find anyone with Home, that's probably my next step. Since they basically only want it for their 8 year old to play games, it's probably not a huge deal- it just bugs me that I can't fix it!