Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, on my home PC (at work right now), I started having problems last night. I restarted my computer, and I can't seem to log into Windows. I can restart and get to the Windows log in screen, but I can't get into the accounts. At first when I would click my main account, it would get act like it was going to work, then get to the "loading your personal settings" and not get past that message, as if it freezes.

So I restarted the PC in safe mode, and was able log in that way, and tried to run RegistryBooster to start there. The scan worked fine, came up with 300 or so errors, but because I was in safe mode I couldn't move the RegistryBooster screen so that I could see the bottom of it to click "repair", or whatever that button at the bottom says. I guess my first question is, if this is even a good idea, how in the world do I click that button if I can't see it in safe mode because of the visuals of that mode?

I also tried doing system restore in safe mode, and each time I try to do that it says that the system couldn't be restored to that date when I restart into safe mode again.

Anyway, after that I restarted after trying Registry Booster, I was able to get to the normal Windows log in screen once again, and when I tried to log into my main account, it actually made the windows log in sound, started to load the desktop, but just a few seconds later it made the windows log OUT sound, and went back to the main Windows log in screen, and when I try to log into either of my accounts, it does the same thing - logs in then logs rightback out.

Ok, I've been told it could be possible that my USERINIT.EXE has been deleted somehow. If so, how do I fix that?

This is such a mess.

I use AVG, and it looks like many people have the same problem with it, where it can delete the above mentioned file.

I can't do anything here at work, but I'd like to get started on this as soon as I get home tonight. So, what do I need to do to be able to get things set back straight? Thanks in advance guys! :)

Anything I do will need to be done in safe mode until I can fix this problem. I know that goes without saying, but still. :)

Edited by bloodydingo, 30 March 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bloodydingo...

Do you have your XP installation cd or have Recovery Console installed on your home machine? This problem can usually be fixed using Recovery Console and copying\expanding the file from the cd to it's proper location.

wannabe1

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi, thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I still have the CD.

I've tried to repair Windows, but it didn't help. Heck, I can't even log into safe mode anymore, it logs me right back out of that as well.

How do I do what you just mentioned?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the cd.

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair using Recovery Console.

Select the operating system to log on to by number...usually 1...press Enter.

When prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press Enter.

At the prompt C:\Windows>, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one: (Note the spaces in these commands...they are important. Also note that I am assuming that your cd drive is drive d:. If it's not, substitute the drive letter that represents your cd drive in place of d:.)

d:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32 <--there is a space after ex_
exit

After inputting the third command, you should receive the message "1 file copied"...which will indicate that the operation succeeded.

See if Windows will let you log on.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

cd i386

When I get to that point, it says:

"The system cannot find the file or directory specified."

Now what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type cd dir and see if the i386 folder is listed.

I may have to boot into XP Recovery Console and help you find it, but I have to work this morning so it will be later before I can do that.

We'll get to the bottom of it though.

Another procedure that works for tins...in most cases...is the Windows Repair Installation.

I'll check on where you're at as soon as I get home from work.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks a lot. I'm at work now myself, so I wont be able to do anything else until 6pm est, but as soon as I get home I'll do what you just said, and I'll be online at that point for hours working on this until we get it. Thanks again.

EDIT:

I tried the Windows Repair Installation using those instructions, and it didn't work. During the installation I got a number of errors for some reason, but I can't recall what they were, saying that certain files were missing, but again, I can't remember what they were. I can try it again and tell you exactly if you would like.

Edited by bloodydingo, 31 March 2009 - 08:02 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you using an OEM disk...like HP, Dell, Compaq, etc?

I've got Recovery Console running on a machine here and am looking at the i386 folder on a MS Retail XP Home edition disk. I'm trying to determine why it's missing from your disk and how to work around that little detail.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yep, it's the OEM disc that came with my computer a few years ago.

I'm still at work right now, but as soon as I make it home I'll try the "cd dir" command.

Would you like to continue this here, or would you rather do it off site on a chat program or email or something?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd rather continue this in the topic. As this is becoming a pretty common problem, it would be nice if we can get a fix arranged for you and maybe help others with this problem as we do so.

What brand disk are you using for this? We may end up making you a "special" disk just for this purpose.

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alright, that works for me.

What do you mean what brand am I using? It's the CD that came with my Gateway computer, the original Windows disc. If we need to make a special disc that's fine, I have the laptop at home that I'm using to get by until I get this resolved and I can do it on there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would explain why this isn't working for you. The Gateway disk is a recovery disk that relies on the recovery partition on the machine to work. Most of the files will be in the hidden partition rather than on the disk.

I'll set about figuring out what we need to do to make you a disk that works.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ah, I had no clue about that. It's no wonder what you said, or the Windows install, isn't working with the disc I'm using. Not to mention why I get errors doing the reinstall with the disc.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to your next reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the machine you have at home that we will be communicating on running XP? We'll be needing to copy the userinit file from that if it is...if not, we'll need to locate a copy of the file.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
When I suspected that this problem was caused by that file, or lack thereof, I copied it here at work and sent it via email, so I can get it that way. The laptop at home also has XP, so I can get it there also. I'm not sure how to get it on the PC that's giving me problems. I assume by creating some sort of ISO file to burn an image of, but I have no clue really how to do that, unless I can just stick it on a data disc CD, now that I do know how to do.

The computer here at work where I copied the file from is the media center edition, and my PC at home is not that edition. Would that not work? If not, then I will have to copy it on the laptop I suppose.

Either way, I think I have the file we need, it's just me getting it to the PC that's the problem I guess. :)