Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and get it activated and updated...then we'll start on the other drive.

You need to install an antivirus and antimalware program, too. I might advise that you install something other than AVG.

Here's a good resource.

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
What do you mean activated and updated? How do I update it?

Nevermind, I assume you mean Windows Update - doing that now.

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 06:09 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I edited my previous post with some more info for you.... :)

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
How long should it take to update to SP2? It's been sitting at 0% for a while now.

I've got Avast Anti-Virus downloaded and installed at least so far.

EDIT:

Nevermind, SP2 is going just fine now, installing...

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 06:37 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Both the Service Packs take a while...and remember that they configure when you restart...that takes a while, too.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
SP3 is installing right now and it's just about done.

Avast is installed and updated.

Once I restart after SP3, what should my next step be?

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alright, SP3 installation and restart of the computer is now complete.

I'm sitting at the desktop once again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you've switched the jumper to slave on the other drive, let's get that connected and get your data off it.

So...restart after installing SP3...then shut down and connect the other drive to the center cable connector...plug in the power connector...and power back up.

Windows should recognize the drive automatically. Your files should be in the Documents and Settings folder on that drive...under your old user account name. Don't copy the "special" folders...Windows doesn't like it when you do that. The special folders are the ones with "My" in the name...My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, etc. Just copy the files from within them and paste them into the corresponding folders on the new drive.

Remember...DO NOT copy any .exe files or any .scr files. Those may be infected.

Once you have all your data moved across, we'll format the drive for storage.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll bet the machine is running a little better now, isn't it? :)

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I hooked up the other drive, restarted, and everything seemed fine but when I clicked the account button it made the log in sound, then remained at the Welcome screen as the task bar loaded, complete with start, and didn't go any further.

I just turned the computer off and removed the slave drive. I'm not sure where the jumper goes, on which pins, to make it a slave drive. The only options are "master on, slave off", cable select", and limits drive capacity to 32 gbytes".

How about trying it without the jumper on any of the pins?

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 07:52 PM.

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Once again, nevermind, it worked without the jumper on any of the pins.

Let me sort my files and stuff like you mentioned above then I'll ask about how to format the drive for storage.

And btw, yes, the machine is running WAY better. Thanks a lot.

Be right back with ya, lol.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Your files should be in the Documents and Settings folder on that drive...under your old user account name.

Ok, I've gone to My Documents, then the folder for the main account I used, but it's saying that access is denied. Any way in there?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This sometimes happens...not a biggie. You've lost the permissions on that drive and will need to Take Ownership. Running XP Home edition, you will have have to do this from Safe Mode. Try taking ownership of the entire Documents and Settings folder (and it's subfolders)...that will make it go faster.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Cool, I'm in.

While I work on copying over what I'd like to keep, do you want to go ahead and tell me what to do next?

Should I go through and using my application disc that I have that has Word and all of that stuff on it, or should I wait on all of that?

I'm trying to think of specific questions to leave with you for the night, I need to go here pretty soon. Can I port over my old Firefox bookmarks? Can I go ahead and put the casing of my PC back on, or will I need to remove either HD again?

Edited by bloodydingo, 01 April 2009 - 08:31 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can install your applications whenever you'd like. Once you have your files copied to the new drive, the hard part's done...the rest is a cake walk. :)

When you are ready to format the slave, right click on My Computer and choose "Manage". In the Management Console, click on "Disk Management" and give it a minute or two to load the drives. Right click on the slave drive and choose "Format". Again, use the NTFS option and not the quick one. Once the format completes, it's ready to use...and you are finished with this mess.

==========

An edit in response to your edit.... :)

Click Start, then Run, type %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, then click "OK". Note the path (location) of the folder that opens. Go to the slave drive and navigate to the same folder location there, copy the folder, and past it in place of the one in the new master.