Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't log into Windows accounts, logs in then right back out.

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if it will format.

I don't remember ever having a partition refuse to delete, but then your machine has been full of "firsts". :)

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I got it deleted.

Now I have 186.31GB "Unallocated".

How do I go about formatting that space? When I right click on it I only get "New Partition...", Properties", and "Help".

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 08:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Choose "New Partition". It needs to be a primary partition. Then you should be able to right click on it and choose Format.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alright, that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure and not make things any worse.

How long should it take to format?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Rule of thumb...about 1 minute per gigabyte. So it's going to take a while.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, I restarted, logged in, and now Disk 2 isn't even listed.

I see Disk 0 (my main drive where Windows and everything is installed now), and then CD-ROM 0. Where in the world did the HD that I need to format go?

I feel like I'm so close to all of this being over, and then this, lol.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 09:12 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No problem. You should only have Disk 0 and Disk 1 now.

Use the Management Console...it should show in there. It may need to be initialized. If that's the case, right click on the icon on the left side of Disk 1 and choose "Initialize".

Just for future reference, unformatted drives will not show up in My Computer.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, got it.

I've gone through the thing where I chose primary partition, etc... and now the hourglass is back. I assume that after this ends I can then right click on the Unallocated" disk and the option for format will be there, right?

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It just popped up with a long error message:

"The disk configuration operation did not complete. Check the system Event Log for more information on the error."

And it goes on and on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We may have just hit on the whole problem...that drive may be failing.

Did it initialize ok...is that where it failed. OR...did it fail when you started the format operation?

Advertisements

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I can right click to the right of Disk 1, where it says "186.31 GB Unallocated". I can chose the New Partition option. I am brought to the New Partition Wizard, and I can click Next and pick Primary partition, next again, assign a letter drive then next again, then the screen with the option "do not format this partition" and "format this partition with the following settings:, and I an hit next there. It takes me to the "completing the new partition wizard screen and click finish. When I hit finish it takes me to the main Computer management - Disk Management screen, and the hourglass shows up and stays there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's failing to format, then...or at least having a good bit of difficultly with it.

We may have been lucky to get the data off that drive....... :) Even if we can get it to format, I don't know how much trust I'd place in it.

You've got a running machine. Maybe you should go ahead and get the applications you need for work installed and finish setting the system drive up the way you want it. We can work on the formatting issue after that. We've got the important part done.

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I've got most of the programs I need on the machine installed, and those I don't have on there yet, I made a list of so that I can remember what they were. Yeah, I think I was lucky to get the data and files off that I did, which was pretty much everything I really needed anyway, so in the end what this really cost me was a hard drive, and then some petty files which I can always get back in the future if I so desire.

I'm pretty much to the point where the PC is good to go for what I'd use it for, unless you have further instructions for me, either for the main drive where Windows is now installed, or for the drive that is possibly failing.

Regardless, if I need to buy a new HD in the future, given the model number of the PC I gave you earlier, what would be the best HD to pick up, a decent size at a decent price?

If you have any more instructions for me just let me know. I must say that this turned out far better than I was starting to think it was going to there for a while. :)

So, do I need to, or can I, do anything else to either drive at this point?

I'm all ears. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it were me, I'd write the slave off as unreliable and replace it with a new one. The prices of hard drives these days might offer you a pleasant surprise. For what you're doing, I would think that a drive in This Range would work very well. If you want more room, you can always move up to a 500GB drive...though I really don't think you need anything that large.

It also wouldn't hurt to pick up and external drive and look into a good backup application like Acronis True Image. That would allow you to make a backup image of your drive initially and add incremental backups of your files at intervals that you choose. Restoring from an image backup takes less time than installing the operating system alone...and you have all your files, programs, and settings just as they were at the last backup.

Now, run a scan with the Avast...and maybe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free)...just to make sure we didn't copy any bad files. If either finds anything, let me know and I'll get you started in the malware removal forum with some expert help there. I think you're probably ok, but better safe than sorry.

If you have any questions or need any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask... :)

bloodydingo

bloodydingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Alrighty, I'll run the scans then check back in tomorrow night.

For what it's worth, the problems I mentioned earlier about computer slowdown, freezing, errors, and all of that? Well since I deleted the partitions and the such, those mysteriously disappeared.

I had no clue that hard drives were that cheap these days. I'll take this one out in the back yard and beat it to death with a a baseball bat for causing me all these problems and just get a new, larger, much improved one. Take that funky HD!

Alright, enough of these shenanigans, thanks a lot, and talk back soon.

Edited by bloodydingo, 02 April 2009 - 10:25 PM.