Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe corrupt?

• Please log in to reply

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, it is Explorer.exe...

What you're saying is I should be able to copy Explorer.exe from my laptop to my desktop (the one having issues) and it should fix it?

It's so simple, it just might work...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would rather you did it this way. This will assure that the explorer.exe is the right dated one that your system started with

Make sure the winxp cd is in your cdrom drive
ReBoot the system
When it comes up and says "Press any key to boot to cdrom" press a key
Press R 'Repair'.
In command line enter
expand (CD DRIVE*):\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\windows

This expands the original compressed file explorer.ex_ to system folder . Then enter 'exit' and press Enter. PC reboots and starts the system.

It will restore the original, unpatched explorer.exe that is not up to date. I am not sure what effect that would have on a system.

It should allow you to now enter windows again

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, the replacement was successful, but it still didn't help the problem....

When I booted into windows I got three error messages:

logonui.exe - application error
RunDLL.exe - Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
Explorer.exe - Visual C++ Runtime Library Error

After I clicked OK on each of these messages (there was no other option), the entire desktop disappeared (save the background) and I was left with nothing to do but a hard reset.

Any new ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok new problems.
but at least you got into windows this time right?

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
For all of two seconds, yeah. I could get into Windows before, but it would tell me that the Data Execution Prevention thing had terminated Explorer.exe for some reason or another. Then I'd get the ol' background but no icons/taskbar. So, I'm essentially back to square 1, but the two new error messages give me clues to lead me to square 2.

Also, now I can't boot into safe mode for longer than a few minutes before crashing. Awesome.

I've been thinking I might just have to go get a new hard drive, install windows to that, and then transfer my data from the old one to the new one. But that's my last resort plan. I'd rather fix it first.

Anyways, I was thinking... What about running the chkdsk from the advanced recovery console? Is there a difference between that one and the one you normally run from Windows?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes in recovery console
type in chkdsk /r

This will attempt to fix and files that are bad

If that doesn't fix it then go back to recovery console and type in sfc /scannow

watch the spacing carefully
you will need the xp disc so make sure its in the drive before you type the sfc command in

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Alright, I'll try that. Hopefully that works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Researching the first error message and the news is not good.
The logonui.exe - application error is usually caused by a infection in the system.
Explorer.exe - Visual C++ Runtime Library Error this error also can be caused by a virus

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think we're fighting a virus problem that keeps infecting your exe files.
That being said

It appears you may have a malware problem. Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 11:51 AM.

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, [bleep].

Ok, well, I'll try to get myself into Windows and do the malware removal thing. It's going to be tough since I won't be able to actually run the programs in Windows normally. I'll have to try it in safe mode I guess.

Thanks for the help and the heads up regarding the virus problem. I'll post here later letting you know what's what.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The malware techs can help even though you can not boot into windows. They are experts at that. They have lots of tricks up their sleeves.
Supply them a link to this thread so they can see what we have done. I had a problem about 2 months ago and had the same symptons with exe files. They determined it was a virus named Virut.
If that is your problem they can help you with getting the data you need and then you will have to do a format and install Xp fresh. It is the only way to clean Virut
Sorry to have to tell you that.
If it is not Virut they will get you fixed up.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 12:22 PM.

Advertisements

ShadowPhoenix

ShadowPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Here's the link to the Malware forum post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks good, Straight and to the point.
Hopefully they can at least help u get your data backup and then it won't matter from that point on
I do know they will tell you not to backup any exe,scr,html files as they will contain the virus if it is virut. Good luck and I will keep a eye on both threads