Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No output to monitors

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought...
on most mb's there is a speaker connector for the internal speaker. Usually located on the front of the case.
Is there one there and if so is it connected to the mb?
If not try connecting it as it should be easy to figure out where it goes on the mb.
Then try putting everything back in and booting up
Just a wild thought

Advertisements

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't think my motherboard has a speaker connected you know, i dont know if this is what you mean, but on the motherboard, right next to the jumpers, there is a little symbol which looks like a speaker with a circle around it, then there are two connecters inside that, one labeled positive, i would take a picture or draw a diagram but cant really do it on my netbook.

It looks to me like it's meant to be connected up to a speaker to supply the error codes. Though why my manual has no mention of the things i have no idea!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, that means if your case doesn't have the little speaker in the front then the mb shouldhave had a little speaker that came with it
prob 2 wires and about 2 inches high.
At this point if you can't find it then it's not a big deal. The fact is that the mb is having a problem.
Do you know what kind of mb it is?
make and model
I can look and see what you can get that is newer and hopefully save you some money.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yeah my system specs are in the first post, it's a "PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX" :)

Cheers mate, i've been having a quick look and there dont appear to be any 650i mobos around anymore, though the 680i is still available through a few retailers. I imagine you can find something better mind!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Socket 775
Intel cpu
How many ide channel
Sata channels?
Sound on board
No video?
Is this correct?

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Looks right to me, though i was struggling to figure out what socket it was using google. I think it has 4 Sata and 2 ide's, though if i had to replace it anyway it i would probbly want to get more sata ports so i can add some more storage in there.

This is what it looks like if it helps http://www.tugia.com...19089028517.jpg

It was definately a budget mobo, i really didnt expect it to randomly die while i was out though :S Was rather hoping it would at least survive a few upgrades!

[edit]The part number is Pn5-e SLI according to mesh.

Edited by smoiu, 31 March 2009 - 04:20 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok whats your budget look like for a new one?
Was there any other request you had for it other then what you have mentioned?

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Right now i have no budget but i'm going to have to make one i guess! Will probably need a new psu and case as well, as i bought my machine from meshcomputers and it looks like it would be a complete mission to try and replace anything in that case :)

I'm going to take my gpu's and cpu to a friends house later in the week to test they work ok in his rig, but that wont be for a while and i need to get my pc up and running asap really, i cant use a 9" netbook as my only machine for much longer xD

I'd ather stick to less than £150 for a new motherboard, ideally not much more than £100, but as always it' a matter of value rather than anything, i dont want to skimp on things i may need, but i dont want to pay through the roof for anything i dont need!

I had a quick look at the barebones systems here but none of them are Sli 775 motherboards which is what i need. Plenty of Sata spaces, good performance from Sli and either an extra slot for my soundcard or onboard optical output are basically all i need.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you go with a barebones system then you can get a faster cpu and memory.
This way all you have to worry about is making sure it is sli compatible and has enough sata ports for everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am looking at this website Tigerdirect and found this system ....System 1

And This System 2

Either I believe will do what you want.
As you can see they are complete and the only thing you will need is a cpu fan which you can take off the system you have now.

I'm not sure what the money translate to for you but you will want to check that out along with the shipping.

Another good site is here Newegg

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'd love to get it from somewhere that cheap but i wouldn't be able to get that shipped to the UK, both as the postage would be too high and because of taxes.

I can get the XFX nForce 780i SLI for £110, would that be a good fit? It seems to have good reviews, so if i got that, a coolmaster case and a 750w power supply, then dropped in my cpu, hard drives, gpu's and ram would that all work?

Do you know how vista would respond to that as well? I imagine i'd have all sorts of compatability/piracy prvention troubles if i just tried to boot from my current installation of vista.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what memory you have but the socket for your cpu will fit fine along with your existing cpu fan. It has support for 3 pci express video cards, now thats a screaming mb.
Here are the specs on it. If your memory will work in it then I would say go for it.
As far as vista I know you will have to load the mb drivers that will come with it so that everything onboard will be enabled and the system will see it.

Specifications
Form Factor: ATX

Processor Interface: Socket 775

Processors Supported: Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium XE
Intel Pentium EE
Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Extreme, Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel Pentium Dual Core, Intel Penryn

Additional Technologies: Vista Ready
RoHS Compliant
45nm Ready, 3-Way SLI

Front Side Bus: 1333MHz

Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce 780i MCP

Number of Slots: 4

Number of Pins: 240-Pin

Maximum Memory Supported: 8GB - 64bit

Memory Supported: 533MHz DDR2
Dual Channel Supported
667MHz DDR2
800MHz DDR2

Channels: 8 Channels

Audio Chipset: High Definition Audio (HDA)

Supported Devices: 2

Hard Drive Types: ATA/133

USB Version: 2

USB Data Transfer Rates: 480Mbps

LAN Type: 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit

Port Type: 2 x RJ-45

PCI Slots: 2

PCI Express X1 Slots: 1

PCI Express X16 Slots: 1
2 - (PCIe 2.0)

PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: 1

PS/2 Mouse Connectors: 1

USB Ports: 10

USB Rear Panel Ports: 6

USB Onboard Headers: 2 - (expandable to 4 USB ports)

FireWire Ports: 1 - 1394a

LAN Ports: 2

Audio Out Jacks: 2

Line In Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 1

Center Audio Jacks: 1

Subwoofer Audio Out Jacks: 1

IDE Headers: 1

FDD Headers: 1

Serial ATA Headers: 6

ATX Power Connectors: 1 24-Pin Connector

PC Power Connectors: 1 - 8 Pin

Fan Connectors: 1 x CPU
4 x Chassis

S/PDIF Connectors:

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 09:56 AM.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've got 4GB DDR2 memory, but its only 533mhz i think.

This is what my shopping basket looks like at the moment.

Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU 118268 39 in stock £83.95 £83.95
XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 148014 108 in stock £109.99 £109.99
Corsair 750W TX PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail 134677 36 in stock £101.18 £101.18

That look ok?

What about my OS install though, if i just put my 3 HDD into this rig will it recognise the install and boot ok (i've got vista and ubuntu duel booting on one of the drives), or would i need to format and reinstall? In which case i'd rather get another drive for a fresh install i reckon, as my backups are missing a few non-essential, but rather-not-lose files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great looking list of parts. You can put your existing hd's in and the system will boot. Like i said you will have to load the mb drivers from the disc that will come with the mb.
As far as the memory, the mb does support yours so there should be no problem
If you can afford the extra drive I would recommend you getting it so that in case you have it to do your clean install on.
I would rather you have it and not need it then needing it and nothaving it.
Fantastic system configuration!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW if you need help in putting it together there is a forum on the site for that.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 10:15 AM.

smoiu

smoiu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks a lot for your help mate, i'm a bit gutted the mother board is completely fried - 2 months out of warrenty, and obviously id rather not spend money i dont have, but you've been a great help :) I dont think i can justify another hard disc unfortunately, i could use some extra storage some point down the line but as it is im spending more than i should!

Thanks again. ill let you know how it goes when my parts turn up!