Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD- 0x0000008e among others- Hardware? Software?

• Please log in to reply

leftovas17

leftovas17

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, so here is the deal. I know this has been tackled in at least one other forum, but it was when there was an operating system installed on the system.

eMachine t6522.

I was having problems booting up the computer. It kept rebooting every time i tried to boot up and i finally decided to restore windows because I was gonna do it anyways. It BSOD'd in the middle of the restore. I then was getting an error on startup which basically said i had not OS to boot. So I decided to just reformat the whole thing. I used my XP cd and got all the way through format and about 55% through windows install before another BSOD. I was getting 0x00000025(i think) among a few others. I tried to replace my memory, but that did not change a thing. I took out everything from the PCI slots(modem, tv tuner, vid card) and still no help. Every time i try to install windows on the new partition, i get about 50% through and it BSOD. I tried to remove the power supply, but my brother apparently striped one of the screws one day and now i cant get it out. So, i unplugged it all and plugged in a new supply and just strapped it to the old one for the time being(i know, a lil sketchy rigging, but what else could i do? haha). Anyways, it was the farthest i had ever gotten in installing windows, about 70ish% and then i got the 0x0000008e error :) . i am at a loss for what to do. I cannot boot into safe mode, i cannot do any of the normal cures because i have NO operating system installed,, not fully anyways... :)

anyone got any ideas? :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

Go there, Microsoft has some troubleshooting steps, it looks like it's related to RAM. Good luck :)

leftovas17

leftovas17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you... I figured it out. One/two of the RAM slots on the MB is/are bad and that was my headache! Guess im stuck at 2gb ram. oh well.

Thanks Much!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Glad to see that you have sorted out your problem.
Good Job! :)

2GB RAM is okay for most people's needs. :)

leftovas17

leftovas17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

2GB RAM is okay for most people's needs. :)

yea... unless u plan on running adobe CS4 with multiple CS4 apps open at the same time. Or if your running Cinema4D, anything complicated gets bogged down real quick with 2GB. Haha. I guess it will have to do until i finally build/buy my own 'Gaming' computer. :) that is if i can ever find one/parts cheap enough

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try these links to get your new system parts.

Newegg

Tigerdirect

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 11:27 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Tigerdirect is really good, I'v had many good experiences with them.

And also, for what you're doing you might want 8 GB ram for your gaming computer.

Edited by edge2022, 31 March 2009 - 05:22 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually this morning I just ordered a new system for my wife
Case, mb, cpu, fan, hd, dvd\cdrw, memory

total was just under 300 including shipping

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 05:26 PM.