Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death following software cd

• Please log in to reply

raby69

raby69

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. I have just loaded a software cd for the camera I have bought for my daughter onto my Packard Bell 6800SLi. On reboot the error message STOP - 0x000000FC (0xBAD1B8E0, 0x0B19D163, 0xBAD1B840, 0x00000001) appeared. On trying to reboot into safe mode, another screen came up similar to the above but starting with 0x0000007E. I have tried a whole host of ways trying to reboot but it all ends up with this screen. Anyway around this or will I have to use my recovery disc? I have backed up weekly most of my data, but typically not this week and I have fotos on it I rather not lose. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try repairing xp...lowdown is here..
no joy..

you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to get your data...

or you can try puppy linux...
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Edited by happyrock, 05 April 2009 - 10:24 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886348
This is for the 0xFC error.

When you use a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
0x000000FC (ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY)

Or, you may receive a Stop error after you install new hardware on a computer that supports hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

This issue may occur when one or more drivers that are installed on your computer are not compatible with the DEP feature of Windows XP SP2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182
This is for the 0x7E error you get when you boot into safe mode.

After you upgrade your computer to Windows XP, you might receive the following Stop error message when the computer starts:STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9
Note The parameters and file names in this error message might vary, depending on the cause of the Stop error. The file name in the second line of the error message, WUSB54GCx86.sys, is an example of a driver file that might be causing the error.

This article discusses seven methods for resolving the problem. The first method is designed for beginning to intermediate computer users. The other six methods are designed for advanced computer users.

If the following conditions are true, the issue might be a hardware incompatibility with Windows XP because all the installed drivers are Windows XP drivers: You receive the STOP 0x7E error when you first start the computer.
You receive the STOP 0x7E error after you run the Setup program.
You did not install any third-party drivers during the installation of Windows.
You receive the STOP 0x7E error when you first start the computer.
You receive the STOP 0x7E error after you run the Setup program.
You did not install any third-party drivers during the installation of Windows.
However, if you receive the STOP 0x7E error after you upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional, or if you recently added a new hardware device, this issue might be an incompatible driver or an incompatible hardware device.

Try the workarounds that Microsoft has on their support pages. But first, backup all your data as happyrock has stated above.

Edited by edge2022, 05 April 2009 - 10:57 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
From the Windows Debugging Tools help file:

Bug Check 0xFC: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
The ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY bug check has a value of 0x000000FC. This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The virtual address whose execution was attempted
2 The contents of the page table entry (PTE)
3 Reserved
4 Reserved

Resolving the Problem
When possible, the Unicode string of the driver name that attempted to execute non-executable memory is printed on the bug check screen and is also saved in KiBugCheckDriver. Otherwise, the driver in question can often be found by running a stack trace and then reviewing the current instruction pointer.

As happyrock has suggested, backup your data now. You can also grab the memory dump files while you're in there.
The reason for getting the memory dump files is to see if you can identify the driver that's causing the problem (using this link: http://usasma.vox.co...ed-02oct08.html )

Once you've identified the problem driver, then you can use the Recovery Console to disable the services ( http://usasma.vox.co...ted14dec08.html ) or to disable the driver from starting (by mounting the registry and editing out the driver startup commands).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you suspect a driver is causing the problem...
download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

NOTE whocrashed will want to download the bug checker and install it...let it do it

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
System Restore from the Recovery Console. {adapted from Geeks to Go. Original source unknown to me}. Xp installation CD required. Boot with the CD and when given the option choose to repair the computer by pressing "R", opening the Recovery Console. Type 1 when asked for OS installation (assuming there is only one OS installed). Type the administrator password when asked to do so and press Enter. Press Enter if there is no password.

* At the prompt Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install.

raby69

raby69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks happyrock. Got upto the point where I nave highlighted my external drive I wish to download to but unable to find my main hard drive (C drive, the yellow cabinet). On drives it gives a choice of floppy, my 2 cd/dvd drives and external. Am I looking in the wrong area or cant it find my main drive to download from? Cheers

raby69

raby69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi The Skeptic. Have a Packard Bell with an OEM and a Master DVD I created when I bought it, but it did not come with an installation cd. Sometime in my drives past the small hidden partition has disappeared which had a recovery program on it. Would be so easy just to chuck in my Master DVD and start again, but now its proving to be a battle of wills...me vs the pc, and I wud so like to win this one! Cheers

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
FWIW - this is the source of most of the XP registry replacement fixes on the web: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thanks happyrock. Got upto the point where I nave highlighted my external drive I wish to download to but unable to find my main hard drive (C drive, the yellow cabinet). On drives it gives a choice of floppy, my 2 cd/dvd drives and external. Am I looking in the wrong area or cant it find my main drive to download from? Cheers

when you click on the drive mounter...whats listed

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download Recovery Console from the links in my list below. The download is an .iso file which needs to be burnt as such (not like "normal" data file) to create a bootable CD that will take you to recovry console. From there you can perform the restore process.