Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

System Restore won't turn back on

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
All the things I read on this say it is a virus, etc.

Well, it sort of was.

It was Vundo Trojan Horse with Vurtumonde and much more. It would open a Mozilla window morph it into an IE window and start cascading IE windows so fast.

I was downloading things to remove it and replace damaged software with task manager opened to Processes so I could turn the thing off when it came on. It was crazy.

Finally I git everything out (I think). Each scan took 3 hours, it too 24/7 for almost a week. Somehow it had removed Zone Alarm, all traces were gone, how could it even remove the files, who knows. Sygate was there instead and eventually was compromised, for all I know it was put in (must have been) by these worms.

Finally all the separate commands in Start Up that were outside the C drive somehow, in a separate rundll32 area, finally they were gone.

When all was eradicated and everything was working right I went to turn the System Restore back on to give it a safe point to have, but it won't turn back on, it says Error, reboot, and that doesn't do it. I have no spyware to be found, it is gone. So why won't it turn back on.

I have no disc for XP anymore, it is lost, I don't think I have CAB files for it in the computer.

How can I get the restore working again.?

One other thing. AVG finds four files that were "changed" I am unsure what action it does, whether it changes them back or just tells me.

They are:

Does this mean anything
I ran a new Spybot, the old one removed had bad "include" files
I ran AVG anti-virus
I downloaded new Zone Alarm, removed Sygate.
I ran Malwarebytes anti-malware
I ran Super AntiSpyware
I downloaded Vundo Tool Fix but ended up with Fake Vundo Tool Fix, another trojan
so I forgot about trying to get that one since it was cmpromised somehow.
I also ran Ad Aware.

Each finds something else
Also True Sword, but it doesn't remve anything fpr free.
I tried PC Pitstop when IE was usable, but it ran into some snag due to Active X

I will do anything, but at the moment nothing bad seems to be going on (at least in terms of spyware, everything on this computer runs into odd glitches, every software has some odd thing that pops up some window or other, even Wise FTp, and I thought ftp was bug proof.

Edited by luckyshow, 30 March 2009 - 03:53 PM.

• 34,114 posts
Malware is tricky. You may think you have it all out but it will go deeper them most scans can find my suggestion is

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.