Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply

_tomi_

_tomi_

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I got a very average computer custom made about 5 months ago and it has been running fine.

A few days ago i removed the ram then reset the ram in its slot.

When i turned the pc back on it wouldnt boot, i dont even get a bios screen. It stays on for 5 to 10 seconds and then switches off.

I have tried to clear the chmos (im not sure if that is the correct term) by using the clear bios jumpers and that did not work.

I have also tried starting the system with just the cpu, ram and the video card (It is needed as the motherboard doesnt have a standard slot) plugged in and the same thing happens.

The Spec is as follows:

Asus P4PE2-X Motherboard (I think this is the culprit, i didnt even want this part)
Intel Pentium 4 2.8A Processor
512mb DDR Ram
NVIDIA GeoForce4 MX400 64MB/DDR/TV
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z5
Seagate Barracude 80GB Hardrive
DVD/RW
CD-ROM

There is also a 56K modem plugged into the motherboard but that is never used.

Could anyone assist me to fix this problem.

Thanks alot,

Tomi

Edited by _tomi_, 09 May 2005 - 03:10 AM.

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Basic troubleshooting my friend, basic troubleshooting.

First:

check to make sure everything is seeded properly

Try, if it doesn't boot

Check to see if all jumper cables are ok (doubt this is the issue, but just in case)

Start removing the unnessecary parts piece by peice. After removing each piece (modem, sound card) try to boot.

If you come up that you removed everything but the graphics card and ram, then you most likely have short. Since you where messing with the ram, you might of discharged and shorted out your ram. You just gotta try. All a comp needs to boot is a cpu, ram, and a power supply. It's usually the ram or the power supply that gives you the problem. Check this stuff out and let me know what happens.

David

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Ok since you have went through the steps and are still coming up empty, what about the power not being set properly. That little red tab on the back of your PS must be set accordingly to your power. If your not getting enough power to your comp, it could do this. If all else fails, try putting some ram in from a friend or relitive's comp. If you do that and it's a dud, I would say it's your PS. But after 5 months, I really would doubt that your PS would go bad. SO I Don't Know What To Say? Sorry I couldn't be of some help.

David

Edited by Technogeek8, 09 May 2005 - 06:23 AM.

_tomi_

_tomi_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi David,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I have done everything you asked and the problem is still occuring.

I cannot find the tab on the back of my pc.

Do you think its worth replacing the motherboard?

Thanks for your time,

Tom

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
eek, it could just be the RAM, or the mobo may be damaged.

I once saw someone ( my boss actually!) not have the ram seated correctly when he powered up the system, which caused all kinds of grief. basically, it caused a short in the mobo, so that nothing would run for more than about 10 seconds, when it started up at all.

if you have only 1 stick of ram, try a different slot. if you have 2 sticks, try first to run with both, still not using the slot original slot. if no go, try it with 1 stick, in each slot. this may get things going...

_tomi_

_tomi_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Audioboy,

I am thinking the same as you although the ram isnt damaged as I have tested it in another PC.

The Motherboard LED comes on, when the computer is plugged in. All the fans work when switched on and when powered up the DVD/CD drive lights come on (when plugged in) and the same for the hardrive light.

What happnes is I switch it one and it does all of this but the monitor doesnt respond (The power light just flashes). Then after 5-10 secs it just switches off.

I have had alot of different computers and I have never seen this before,

Cheers,

-TOMI-

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if the ram checks out, which it has, then it sounds like the mobo is damaged. all your drives are working, since they pull power from the PSU. everything you described points to the mobo...bummer. you said this system is fairly new, so maybe a warranty? if not, the mobo shouldnt be too expensive. if you can get the same model, you should be able to swap it out and be running again no problem.

_tomi_

_tomi_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I wasnt happy with this motherboard from the start, it was the only part in the pc I didnt ask for.

I am going to get an intel D865PERL, is there any you can recommend which would be better value for money, im not looking to save money just asking if im throwing my money away,

thanks for help,

Cheers

-TOMI-