Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't change my desktop background

• Please log in to reply

Layth

Layth

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Guys,

Need your help once again! Here's the problem:

Running Win XP on Acer laptop.
Installed APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day) a few months ago. It updates your background with a picture every day. Now i want to put my own picture on the background. Everytime i press apply, it flashes up for a millisecond and then the original APOD picture is back up. There are no options in the settings to stop updating or anything. I've uninstalled the program and this problem still happens. I found the picture it refers to in C:\Program Files\APOD\APOD.jpg. Deleting this file simply leaves me with a white background and a small "x" in the top left corner of the screen. This file is still there even after i uninstalled the program. I have re-installed it now. The problem still stands. I want to be able to change my bg picture! This is the HiJackThis log as it is now with the program installed.

Please help!

Thank you

Advertisements

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Anyone any ideas?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try Start -> Run -> regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
Navigate to this folder. If the folder has a folder named ActiveDesktop, select and delete it.

Also try going to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

If the policies folder has a folder named ActiveDesktop delete it.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Go there and check if there is a key called wallpaper under the folder System.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey! thanks for the ideas

Unfortunately, there weren't any folders called Active Desktop and no key called Wallpaper... :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Uninstall APOD, and get me a screenshot of your desktop after that.
Use PrintScreen, and paste it into paint.
Export the file as a jpeg and attach it to your next reply.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
If i un install it using the add/remove programs (that's the only way) nothing seems to change. The taskbar icon is still there, the background is still the same. So i closed APOD (by pressing close after right clicking on the icon in the taskbar) and then i went to the APOD folder in Program files and deleted APOD.jpg which is the file name for the background the program uses. Then i refreshed the desktop and the image uploaded is what i've got. A red background and note the cross at the top left. If i try to set a desktop image it simply flashes and stays the same!

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop.JPG

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you check back into the registry using the same folders as I mentioned above?
This is a weird problem. Do you have your XP install disc?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
edge2022 reading on this some people talk about active desktop maybe causing a problem.
Not sure if it will stop it but it's worth a try

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Open the Display icon.
3. Click the Desktop tab.
4. Click the Customize Desktop button.
5. Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 06:10 PM.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I checked the registry, nothing there!

I don't think i've got the CD's... it's a few years old and i've moved house at least 3 times. I don't know where anything is anymore!

Thanks for the suggestion rshaffer61 but there's nothing checked there. No active desktop running.

Normally with active desktop you can move things around the screen and there's a grey bar if you go near the to active object but this doesn't happen here, just a cross in the top left!

Layth

Edited by Layth, 31 March 2009 - 06:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok not much on the program except allot of people had trouble uninstalling it

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://bb.nightskyli...o...106&start=0

Read this and see if any1 had any fixes.
Try disabling your security protection including Windows firewall and your suite. Disconnect from the internet before doing this, as you don't want any viruses.

And btw, thanks to rshaffer
I am running out of ideas.

Edited by edge2022, 31 March 2009 - 06:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry.. I just looked around myself as a matter of interest cause I have never seen anything like that