Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo Messenger has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Breadman Pete

Breadman Pete

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can not get yahoo messenger to work at all. When I try to sign in to messenger I get a rectangle box titled Microsoft windows in left corner and it reads "Yahoo! Messenger has stopped working". I also have the same thing happen with Internet Exporer from time to time, in that the rectangle box pops up in the screen and saying "internet explorer has stopped working". It also says Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. I have uninstalled messenger(yahoo) and reinstalled but to no avail..

Advertisements

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
A few things you may wish to try.

First update Flash Player from http://www.adobe.com.../downloads.html
Then update Java at http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp

If this does not solve your problems, for the time being it may help to downgrade to Y! Messenger 8.1. Make sure you uninstall 9.0 first. 8.1.0.421 is considered the most stable. http://www.freecreed...gr-archive.html

Finally, when installing Yahoo Messenger it helps to right-click the setup file and click Run as Administrator.

Edited by Belinrahs, 30 March 2009 - 08:04 PM.

Breadman Pete

Breadman Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The Yahoo 8.1 is working, thank you.. I have some concerns though about what anti-virus/spyware should I be using, currently I have Paretologic antivirus and Pareto logic reg. cure I recently purchased these( I saw them I suppose on an ad page, when I was visiting geeks to go. Anyway in an earlier post I was told I should uninstall these because they are worthless and maybe dangerous. In addition I should tell you I have downloaded many songs via limewire and I've been told not to do that anymore... and another bit of info I play poker online I use a tracking program called Poker Office 2.0 In the past I have recieved error messages saying "problem caused by poker office.. I hope this information usefull, I really wish I was more knowledgble concerning computers.

PBJ

PBJ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going to try this yoo,as my yahoo mess is noy fully loading up and all i get is the white box , can`t see to sign in or out also my contacts aren`t there , but everyone can see me online has to be my pc great site great people can`t wait to tell my friends