Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn on Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply

mcghanclan

mcghanclan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
So, I left the house for the weekend and came back to see that my firewall is off along with my automatic updates. My siblings have gotten on it and did who knows what.

I attempted to turn my firewall back on, but it says that it's sorry but it can't turn it back on. To go through the Control Panel and turn it on through there. However, when I go through the Control Panel, it won't even let me click on the 'On' button. It's.. shaded over.

I feel rather... naked without a firewall on, could someone help with this, please? I would be rather grateful.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeekToGo,

I see you have a problem, you will be fine. It is my recommendation that you don't use the windows firewall. It is not very secure. There are several very good firewalls that are free and a very good.

I have provided some links below to free Firewalls that I recommend, I personally use Zone Alarm, they are all pretty good. Please install only one, Firewalls are not compatible with each other and can cause system instability, sluggishness, or vulnerability to a breach of your firewall. Disable you windows fire wall as you can't uninstall it.

Zone Alarm Firewall

Comodo Firewall Pro

If you choose to use Comodo, it can be installed as both an antivirus and firewall or just antivirus or firewall. Please pay attention to the install if you plan on using another antivirus provider.

Online Armor personal firewall

All of these programs have to be set as to what is allowed to happen with your computer and they can learn. It is not that difficult and they will really help lock your computer down. In a good way.
Let me know how it works, if you have any other questions feel free to ask them here, We don't judge anybody.

Good luck
Cbarnard

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
do you have windows live one care? if you do windows live one care does that but dont worry, the firewall is still on.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard