Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery with no recovery or windows disc

• Please log in to reply

y2kfroguy

y2kfroguy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
In a previous thread it was determined I have a nasty virus and must "completely wipe out your hard drive (remove all partitions, create new ones) then format and install the system again."

The thread: http://www.geekstogo...53#entry1499553

The last four posts are the only ones that pertain to this question.

I was given basic instructions on how to do this but I do not have a recovery CD or Windows XP CD either. Is there any way I can create one or any other solution for me since I don't have any access to those CD's?

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have XP Home, Version 2002, SP2

Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

If you have the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) but not the CD you could ask a friend with a Genuine XP CD to borrow it. When you go to install make sure when you select formatting options that you choose the full format (not Quick) you want to make sure Virut has been removed. If you can't get a valid copy of Win Xp you can't reinstall and you will have to purchase a new OS I hope this helped

Good Luck let me know how this works out.

Barnard

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when was your computer built and is it a name brand machine or custom built? many name brand pcs (dell, hp, etc..) have been shipping with recovery partitions instead of system disks (stupid in my opinion)....you can usually do a destructive restore by pressing a key combo during boot (usually something like shift + f11 or something to that effect)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard