Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Boot After SP 3 Installation

• Please log in to reply

bmshanley

bmshanley

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Greetings,
This afternoon, I installed Win XP SP3 on my Dell Inspiron 6000. Everything seemed fine, multiple reboots, a couple hours of it running normally. This evening Media Player crashed, and I couldn't get it to restart. It goes through the POST, and then I get a blinking cursor. I've had a look at this thread and while our problems seem similar, I think there are some important differences.

If I boot from a Windows CD, and go into recovery mode (pressing R in setup) I can't run CHKDSK at all - I get the following: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." FIXMBR gives me the warning that "this computer appears to have a nonstandard or invalid master boot record." DISKPART shows me that there are two partitions, one of about 8 MB, obviously left over from a previous installation, and one for 76309 MB, all expected, except that it tells me that 76308 MB are free.

So, it seems clear that something has happened to the partition information, but I'm hoping that the data is still there... somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about recovering this data? I'm wondering if there is a way to manipulate Windows before trying the previously suggested Puppy Linux installation.

Thanks,
Brendan

Edited by bmshanley, 31 March 2009 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
"unrecoverable problems" is Recovery Console slang for "the hard drive is toast".
Replace the hard drive, put a new copy of Windows/Linux on it and then get back what you can off the old drive before it dies altogether.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Its best you don't do much with the killed drive.
Try booting through a Live CD and try to recover as much as you can.

You can use Puppy Linux for this or Ubuntu.
It's your choice, but try to recover the data as fast as you can.

bmshanley

bmshanley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is a Live CD a bootable .iso of Puppy, etc?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yea it is.
Burn it with an image burning program. Don;t just make a data CD.

bmshanley

bmshanley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the help, gang. We'll see how it goes.

Just for general knowledge, is it likely that SP3 had anything to do with this failure, or is this just a strange coincidence?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Might be SP3, but I don't know for sure

bmshanley

bmshanley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So, I was able to make Puppy load up, and I can mount my flash drive that I hoped to back up to, but I get an error when I try to mount the hard drive. Is this the final nail in the coffin? If the drive won't mount, is it safe to say that it no longer spins, and it's totally dead?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Brendan

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Is there an error when it doesn't mount?
Post back and tell what was the exact error code given.
If the drive is dead you may have to take to some professional data recovery company.

bmshanley

bmshanley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry, should have put that up last time.

Puppy drive mounter: ERROR
FAILURE! In the case of removable meida, the most common reason is the media is not currently inserted. Or, you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media. If so, please remedy.

Then, when I hit OK, it tries to remount, and I get the same error. After that, it just returns me to the mounter menu.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It's hard to figure out what is wrong with that error.

Download Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.co...Ubuntu/download

Since you have some experience with Linux I assume you know how to burn the disc image.
If Ubuntu does not auto mount your drive, try using the shell.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try a regular mount

sudo mount /dev/*** /mnt

If that doesn't work list the error

http://www.linux-faq...sc/ntfs.php#4.1
Read this for some guidance

bmshanley

bmshanley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think you're giving me too much credit - my Linux experience is very limited. But, I did burn the Ubuntu iso, and booted from it. I went with the option to "try without changing my computer" or something like that. From the terminal, when I use fdisk -l, all I see is the flash drive I've attached (I don't see the CD drive that it's running from either, but that may be normal, I don't know). If I try sudo mount/dev/hda1 (just a guess, but there is only one HD) it returns "mount: can't find /dev/hda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab."

I also tried this with just "hda" with the same results. Also of note (maybe), when I use the cat /proc/filesystems command, I don't see NTFS in there.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This might be the end but try going into GParted.

You will find it in one of the menus, I think it's under system, but I may be wrong. It's listed as "partition manager." Click on it and see if it lists any partitions.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Posted Image

This is what it looks like, but of course, your partitions are going to look different.