Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet help

• Please log in to reply

KUMB

KUMB

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Right.

Just had a major problem with my laptop. It woulden't load windows and was telling me I had two options, go back to a restore point before the problem started, or do a destructive (?) recovery. Obviously went for the restore option, but was told I Didnt have any restore points. Therefore, had to let it do a destructive recovery, where it told me it would be deleting all my files and going back to the original settings of my OS (Vista).

Did this.

Trying to connect back to the Internet using a cable modem. It kept prompting me to put in a username and password which i didn't have so I phoned up Virgin and asked. Was told I didnt need one and it should just connect straight away. Well it's not. Anyone shed any light?

Also, the guy on the phone said that I should be connecting the modem to the laptop using an ethernet cable, as at the mo, I;m using the USB port. Tried using the ethernet, but my laptop dosen't even recognise the ethernet is plugged in. Any help on this would be great.

Tah very much.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to install the drivers for your network card....what make/model is your computer?

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's an E- System.

Sorry I'm not very technical, is that al the info you need?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
.... e-system? is that a local computer shop or something? i'm not familiar with that brand...are there any model numbers or serial numbers on the machine?

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, I got it from PC World under a year ago. I've just had a look on the laptop and it just says Manufacturer: EI system, if thats any help?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just keeping this link for me once we find more info http://support.thete...b-3ebbca776900}

....is there a model number? like EI system 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
4213?

Does that sound at all right? That's the only numbers I can see on it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yep...

click Here then click on the "Sis network card.zip" link to download your driver package for the network card...once downloaded unzip the file to your desktop (create a folder called "NIC Driver" on your desktop...then open the ZIP file and copy everything that's in it over to the "NIC Driver" folder)....once you've unzipped everything...open the "NIC Driver" folder and double click the setup.exe file to install the drivers (hopefully)

this is the location for any other drivers you might be missing (this seems to be the only site on the internet that has any info/support for your laptop...so you may want to bookmark their site)

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay.

I've done that. So now, when I try to use the ethernet, it should now recognise that is connected to the laptop?

Thanks for the help mate, very much appreciated!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it SHOULD

Advertisements

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I'll give it a bash.

Cheers!

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's still not recognising that the ethernet is plugged in. The light on the modem dosen't light up, but it will immediately come on when I connect it via the USB port.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you're trying the ethernet connection...do you still have the USB plugged in on the modem?

KUMB

KUMB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, I've taken the USB out.

Do you know why I cant connect to the broadband using the USB port now? It worked fine yesterday but since I've had to do the full recovery, I cant connect. The VirginMedia guy said it's nothing to do with a username and password, but that's all I get prompt for..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you taken the USB cable out of the modem is what i'm asking...often times if the device detects a usb connection it will disable the ethernet..

for the USB deal....did you run the disk that virgin supplied with the modem before you plugged in the modem?