Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more standby

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I may have missed it but did you reinstall your drivers like before and it fixed the problem?
When was the last time you did a full system scan for virus's?

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
After some rersearch I've seen a few things. One would be the chipset drivers, another would be a BIOS setting. Also might want to check your graphics card drivers. Is it internal or do you have a graphics card in an expansion slot?

Here is another thing I found
Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. Click Devices by type on the View menu if this option is not enabled.
5. Double-click Computer to view which HAL is loaded.

it should read "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

Also make sure you have at least SP2 installed. Go to the microsoft update website to download all the updates.

One more question. When you shut down your computer does it shut off on its own or does it say that the computer is not safe to shut down?

terpsteve11

terpsteve11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have scanned for viruses recently, no problems there.

My computer tells me that my windows is up to date, it also shuts off with out any problems. It is really only a matter of I used to be able to go into stand by mode, and now its no longer an option

Ayreon

Ayreon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Check your device manager:
Click start, click run, type in "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter. Do you see any exclamation points next to any devices?

terpsteve11

terpsteve11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Alright guys, I want to thank you all so much for your help. I ended up talking to a dell employee who helped me out. There was a problem with their drivers and it wasn't specifically laid on their website. Thanks again for your input! :)

terpsteve11

terpsteve11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
and to ayreon, yes i did. the dell guy fixed it. i feel like i will definitely be back with more problems in the future so have a good one