Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hanging after waking from hibernation, trouble booting up and

• Please log in to reply

luker38

luker38

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My computer has always ran very well, but I've been having trouble for a few weeks. Like the title says, it hangs upon waking from hibernation and is extremely slow booting up. Sometimes it doesn't boot up at all, it just hangs again. It's also just been slow overall. I'd been having some graphical issues so last weekend I updated the drivers for my video card and things were fine for a day or two, now the graphic problems are back and the other probelms are worse than ever. I sometimes get an error message during bootup stating "An exception occurred while trying to run nview.dll,nviewInitialize". Any help would certainly be appreciated!

Luke

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have your install disc?
Try going Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

It may prompt your for the disc if it found any problems.

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
As I ran the scan a message popped up that stated "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now." I don't have the disc. XP came pre-loaded on my machine when I bought it and the restore files are on a second hard drive, not a CD. Is there any way I can go about this without the disc?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I'm not so sure how to do it without the disc, but the good news is that you have a recovery partition.
Do you know how to access it through Windows or the BIOS?
If you do, then I suggest you scrap Windows and start with a clean slate.

Would it bother you if we had to back up all your files, reformat the drive, and restore them? (i.e. Do you have lots of programs that will have to be reinstalled after the format?)

Since you have so many problems, it would be better and easier to reformat and install Windows than try to fix every one.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can run sfc fixes with borrowed XP CD. It must have SP3 slipstreamed, though.
NOTE. One needs Windows CD sooner, or later.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yea Broni is right. You are going to need a disc so look for someone to borrow one from. Or you can go to the company from which you bought your PC (HP, Dell, Asus, etc.) and ask them the mail you a CD. I think most will ship it free of charge (I might be wrong)

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've managed to get ahold of an XP reinstall disc. However, it's service pack 2, not service pack 3. I don't suppose this will work will it? My computer came with SP2 installed when I bought it several years back. If it absolutely has to be SP3 than I will look into getting my hands on one.

To answer your question Edge, I do have a lot of programs installed and my hard drive is almost full, but if it comes right down to it, I would be willing to back all that up, reformat the drive and reinstall windows.

Luke

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the original installation was sp-2 then you shouldn't have problem using the borrowed disk.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do a sfc /scannow again and use the CD. As stated above, it should work.

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did. It told me I had the wrong CD. This CD is from a Dell with XP Professional and my computer is a Gateway with XP Media Center 2002. I'm guessing that's why my computer didn't like the CD. Do I need to find a Media Center 2002 reinstall disc?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yea, it just needs to be Media Center XP (don't think it needs to be 2002).
Also make sure its a gateway one.

I forgot about the OEM restrictions.

And also, I think a retail copy of Windows Media Center would work as well. You can't buy them anymore though.

Edited by edge2022, 01 April 2009 - 04:54 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Firstly, Media Center Edition didn't come up until 2005, but the year doesn't matter.
Secondly, it can't be any restoration CD, but full version Windows Media Center Edition XP CD, so it doesn't matter, if it came with Gateway, Dell, or any other brand.
Then, you have a problem.
For the reason know only to Bill Gates, Media Center Edition CD won't allow any service pack slipstreaming, so you simply can't make new CD with SP3 slipstreamed into it.
If you can find at least full version of Media Center Edition CD with SP2 already on it, you could uninstall SP3, and then run sfc.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Firstly, Media Center Edition didn't come up until 2005, but the year doesn't matter.

Sorry, my mistake. Yea try to find the full version of Media Center XP. Good luck!

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll see if I can find the appropriate disc. My thanks to you all!

Luke

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted :)