Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring browsers to another drive

• Please log in to reply

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to transfer my browsers from my "C" drive to my "F" drive to make more disk space on my "C" drive. I tried to do this by coping and pasting the short cuts on my desktop, but that did not work. I want to transfer the complete browser programs, so I can access them from my "F" drive. I want to still be able to access my short cuts from my desktop. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Smmr1321 :)

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you have installed other browsers, like Firefox, you should be able to uninstall and then reinstall them and select where you want the program to go. I don't think that there is anyway to move IE, at least not easy. You would have to copy all the files and then create a link to the new location.

You can edit the shortcuts to point to the new location (properties).

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a lot, Kemasa! I'll try your advice.

Smmr1321

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
You won't be able to move IE because it is so wrapped in the Operating system, but I hardly use it anyways.
Any other browser, as stated, can be installed on F. same as a lot of other programs. Just point to F as the installing drive letter.

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice. I have several browsers on my computer, including IE. Some of them are IE based too. I've transferred Enigma browser without any trouble. I think that browser is one that is IE based, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try and transfer more of my browsers to rhe "F" drive. My "F" drive is a USB Flash Drive, so would that make any difference in what browsers that I can transfer to it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Smmr1321

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, I would not transfer programs to a removable drive. You would not be able to access the program when the drive is not there.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
If you are that low on hard disk space, then I would suggest you try and go down a different path.

What are your computer specs?
laptop or desktop?
Hard drive? Size and free space?
Operating system? XP?

Putting data to an external is fine, BUT it is not recommended to install programs to them.

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your advise, Kemasa.

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

Smmr1321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop Computer.
256 Physical Memory
Hard Drive is "C"
Total Size: 37.2 GB
Free Space: 7.40 GB
Operating System: Windows XP, SP 3

Why is it not recommended to install programs on an external drive?