Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

Alicorn

Alicorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my last hope at figuring out what's going on, so here goes.

My normal computer randomly stopped turning on. I press the button on the front and I get no response whatsoever, and this seems to have happened out of the blue, i.e. the computer didn't go through any movement or anything. I've checked the obvious stuff like if everything is plugged in and whether the powerstrip is working, which it is; when turning the strip on and off, I get power to the monitor and printer, but no starting up when I hit the button.

I'm really hoping I'm not going to lose everything stored on that computer, so I'd like to try and find out why the button isn't worked or what's gotten broken inside it. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
check the power supply in the computer itself. See if the fan is turning in the power supply whhen you turn the system on.
Is this a desktop r a laptop?

Alicorn

Alicorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a desktop. And no, the fan doesn't run; nothing on the modem itself does anything at this point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Modem?
Do you mean the motherboard?
If the fan in the power supply isn't turning then your problem is a new power supply is needed. That may be the only problem and that is not a bad fix.
A power supple depending on the wattage you need can be as cheap as $40.00
Can you supply make and model and I will see what it will cost to replace it for you.
From your description it sounds like thats is what is wrong.
Nothing is powering up like internal fans, cpu fan, hard drive, cdrom?

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 March 2009 - 09:32 PM.

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
What about if the Fan is working.... but the pc is not turning on?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you may be looking at replacing the motherboard.
If the fans are all turning, the hd is spinning up, the cdrom is starting and no post screen on the monitor
Then the only 2 problems it can be is either monitor or motherboard.
If I understood you correctly you said in post 6

"It's a desktop. And no, the fan doesn't run; nothing on the modem itself does anything at this point."

I thought the power supply fan was not turning. Am I wrong?

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Then you may be looking at replacing the motherboard.
If the fans are all turning, the hd is spinning up, the cdrom is starting and no post screen on the monitor
Then the only 2 problems it can be is either monitor or motherboard.
If I understood you correctly you said in post 6

"It's a desktop. And no, the fan doesn't run; nothing on the modem itself does anything at this point."

I thought the power supply fan was not turning. Am I wrong?

NO THAT WASN'T MY POST.... I GOT A LAPTOP. THE FAN IS RUNNING, AND THE CDROM IS ACTING LIKE IT'S LOADING AND AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT WAS THE MONITOR'S PROBLEM, AND I CONNECTED THE LAPTOP TO MY DESKTOP MONITOR WHICH WAS NOT WORKING.... SO I GUESS MAYBE IT'S A WINDOW PROBLEM.......

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First please do not shout. When you cap all your letters it is shouting.
Second of all I just went back through this thread and that was your response when I asked if it was a laptop or desktop.
If the cdrom is not reading any cd then yes it would be a cd rom problem
If the system is not booting to post screen then it's most likely a mobo problem.
If you hooked your laptop to desktop monitor and no picture then it could be monitor or mobo.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 April 2009 - 11:07 AM.

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

First please do not shout. When you cap all your letters it is shouting.
Second of all I just went back through this thread and that was your response when I asked if it was a laptop or desktop.
If the cdrom is not reading any cd then yes it would be a cd rom problem
If the system is not booting to post screen then it's most likely a mobo problem.
If you hooked your laptop to desktop monitor and no picture then it could be monitor or mobo.

Lol sorry fam... my keyboard was on cap..... It's a Laptop. And i turn it on... d fan was running fine... d cdrom was responding alright.... but nothing is comming up on the screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I would say you have a bad mobo or screen
What kind is it
Make and model
I will see if there is any known issues like you are having with it

Advertisements

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Then I would say you have a bad mobo or screen
What kind is it
Make and model
I will see if there is any known issues like you are having with it

It's not a very popular product... It's HiGrade laptop.... what is (mobo)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mobo stands for motherboard

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Mobo stands for motherboard

Oh i got it now.... (mobo) how do I know if it's the motherboard? Can i use PC Diagonist to diagonise d prob? or can u recomment another stuff i can use to diagonise the problem for me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is the mobo then there is nothing that can be done.
if it was the screen then plugging it into a monitor that you know works and it still doesn't work then its the mobo.
Either way I believe your mobo is bad.
If that is truly the problem then you only have 2 options at this point.
Contact laptop manufacturer and see if the laptop can be sent to them for a replacement to be installed
Or if that is not an option then buying a new laptop and then you would have to purchase a external 2.5 inch hd enclosure so that you can get the files off the existing hd.
You will have to reinstall and programs going the second route.

H00k

H00k

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

If it is the mobo then there is nothing that can be done.
if it was the screen then plugging it into a monitor that you know works and it still doesn't work then its the mobo.
Either way I believe your mobo is bad.
If that is truly the problem then you only have 2 options at this point.
Contact laptop manufacturer and see if the laptop can be sent to them for a replacement to be installed
Or if that is not an option then buying a new laptop and then you would have to purchase a external 2.5 inch hd enclosure so that you can get the files off the existing hd.
You will have to reinstall and programs going the second route.

What about if i buy another Mobo and replace it....will that work?