Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Had Vundo and other viruses, system still infected, please help! [

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

heir

heir

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,427 posts
Hmm...
Let's move on.

Step 1.
Goored-fix:

Please double-click GooredFix.exe on your Desktop to run it.
  • Select "2. Fix Goored" by typing 2 and pressing Enter.
  • Make sure all instances of Firefox are closed at this point.
  • Type y at the prompt and press Enter again.
  • A log will open, please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called GooredLog.txt).
Note: If you receive a message saying that GooredFix needs your system to be restarted, please close all applications and reboot your system. Please also allow any registry changes that may be prompted by any of your security programs.

Step 2.
OTL-fix:

Run OTListIt2.exe
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTLI
    PRC - C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (Microsoft Corporation)
    [2009/03/11 11:54:35 | 00,030,880 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) -- C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\gffdfogq.sys
    [2009/03/11 11:54:15 | 00,030,880 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) -- C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\xqgrrtdc.sys
    :Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [start explorer]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
  • Then post the OTL2 fixlog

Step 3.
Things I would like to see in your reply:

• The content of GooredLog.txt from step 1.
  • The content of fixlog from OTL2 from step 2.
  • Information on how your computer is running now.

Advertisements

rufusfonzarelli

rufusfonzarelli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had to go out of town. Sorry it took so long to reply, I tried to use the internet while I was away, but my computer wouldn't let me connect, well actually it said I had connected, however, nothing would load on Firefox or IE. IE appears to be working. The computer seems faster. There haven't been any google redirects.

here are the logs

GooredLOG
GooredFix v1.92 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 16:09 on 09/04/2009 running Option #2 (Local User)
Firefox version 3.0.8 (en-US)

=====Goored Deletions=====
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{C453FB06-A543-4AC6-98B2-CAA18A18ECD0}
->Backing up folder... Done.
->Emptying folder... Done.
->Deleting folder... Done.

=====Dumping Registry Values=====

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8\extensions]
"Plugins"="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8\extensions]
"Components"="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions]
"[email protected]"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff"

========== OTLISTIT ==========
Process explorer.exe killed successfully!
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\gffdfogq.sys moved successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\xqgrrtdc.sys moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========
User's Temp folder emptied.
User's Internet Explorer cache folder emptied.
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\Local User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
User's Temporary Internet Files folder emptied.
Local Service Temp folder emptied.
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
Local Service Temporary Internet Files folder emptied.
Network Service Temp folder emptied.
File delete failed. C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
Network Service Temporary Internet Files folder emptied.
File delete failed. C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_544.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
File delete failed. C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_8b8.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
Windows Temp folder emptied.
Java cache emptied.
FireFox cache emptied.
Temp folders emptied.
Explorer started successfully

OTListIt2 by OldTimer - Version 2.0.8.0 log created on 04092009_160943

Files moved on Reboot...
File C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_544.dat not found!
File C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_8b8.dat not found!

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

There doesn't seem to be any further evidence of infection, let me know what you see.

Thanks.

heir

heir

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,427 posts

I had to go out of town. Sorry it took so long to reply, I tried to use the internet while I was away, but my computer wouldn't let me connect, well actually it said I had connected, however, nothing would load on Firefox or IE. IE appears to be working. The computer seems faster. There haven't been any google redirects.

Looks as you had been Goored, :) .

There doesn't seem to be any further evidence of infection, let me know what you see.

Let's do a couple of scans in case something is hiding in there

Step 1.
Clean temp locations:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Caution: This program is for Windows 2000, XP and Vista onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Step 2.
Scan with MBAM:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Step 3.
Scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner:

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Kaspersky online scanner uses JAVA tecnology to perform the scan. If you do not have the latest JAVA version, follow the instrutions below under Upgrading Java, to download and install the latest vesion.

• Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure the following is checked.
    • Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under Scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
  • Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.
  • Please post this log in your next reply.

Upgrading Java:

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 13.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Step 4.
Things I would like to see in your reply:

• The content of the report from MBAM from Step 2.
  • The content of the report from Kaspersky Online Scanner from Step 3.

rufusfonzarelli

rufusfonzarelli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, both scans came back clean, but IE is back to not working. It might load one page, but it freezes within a couple links. Don't know if this is related. I'm heading back out of town, but I'll try to keep checking back. Thanks for all your help.

heir

heir

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,427 posts
Hey there, rufusfonzarelli

OK! Well done, your log is clean again! :)

Time for some housekeeping.

Step 1.
Clean up:

We need to do is to remove all the tools that you have used. This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions. It will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer.

First:
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /u, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

Second:

Double-click OTListIt2.exe to start it.
Click the Clean up button
Click Yes to the reboot.

Now delete any tools/logs that is left over after you ran OTListIt2 Clean UP.

Step 2.
Prevention:

OK, lets carry out a few preventative steps to make sure you reduce the risk of further infections.

First:
Your Adobe Acrobat Reader is out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Please go to the link below to download an update.

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

Remove the older versions and install the latest,

Second:
One of the essentials is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Third:
Now lets download some preventative programs that will help to keep the nasties away! We will start with Anti Spyware programs. I would advise getting a couple of them at least, and running each at least once a month.

Anti Spyware
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. A tutorial can be found here.
  • SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute. A tutorial can be found here.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email. A tutorial can be found here
Note: If you find your system slows down after installing any of these, just uninstall it, or disable it from running at startup.

Fourth:
Nearly done! If you like to use chat, MSN and Yahoo have vunerabilities that can leave you open to infections. There are however a couple of very good, Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN):

Instant Messengers
Lastly:
It is a good idea to clear out all your temp files every now and again with ATF Cleaner. This will help your computer from bogging down and slowing. It also can assist in getting rid of files that may contain malicious code that could re-infect your computer.

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein.

Regarding that issue with IE I recommend you to start a new topic in the technical part of this board. Mention that you've been helped in this topic and post a link to this topic in you new topic in the technical forum.

I will keep this log open for the next couple of days, so if you have any further problems post another reply here.

OK, all the best, and stay safe!

heir

heir

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,427 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.