Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop cant find wireless network card

• Please log in to reply

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys, I need some help. It would seem like my computer (HP pavillion dv9000) cant find my wireless card. Its like it does not exist. Funny (well not for me) thing is this happened to me about a week ago. I spent hours trying to figure it out and all of a sudden there was an windows update or something. So I turned if off and let it do its thing and what do you know, it worked. Anyways I now seem to be back where I started from. I'm back at the hunt for the solution and have spent a couple hours this morning at it. This most similar story that I found like mine is at this link:

http://www.geekstogo....r-t232115.html

I have been asking for help for some time at:
http://www.techsuppo...twork-card.html

so I have a bit of a log for what I have been doing and attempting to do. So far nothing has worked an nobody has help. So I'm asking PLEASE help me. I don't know what to do as I use this for personal and business and need a reliable computer to do business on. Thanks for anyone's help or comments.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you looked in device manager for any ? or !
What shows up under network devices?
Have you gone to control panel and to add new hardware and searched for the device?

Usually if windows can "see" the device, and there is no driver associated with it, you will get an "unknown device".
It is possible that the wireless device has "bit the dust".

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. Ya, I tried all that. I'm starting to think its toast too. I think my next a-tempt will be to take apart the computer and see if its maybe a dirty/lose connection.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since it is a laptop, I suggest that you take it to someone that works on laptops. The parts are small and the screws are hidden.

How old is the laptop?
Is it still under warranty?

HP pavillion dv9000 Manual
This will give you an idea of what you need to do.

I would like to suggest a USB wireless adapter for approximately $20.00 and up.

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks for the heads up. the warranty is done. I hoping that I can find a video that will show me how to take this apart and show me all the hidden stuff. if I feel uncomfortable i guess ill have to go with a USB option.

Edited by bobman_420, 05 April 2009 - 05:48 PM.

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
wow, looked through the guide you gave me and its a nice guide that shows what i need to know to take it apart but holy crap there's a lot of crap that needs to be removed. I might just look into the USB option lol

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats why I only do software on laptops. There is too many chances for errors.
The USB device starts to look very attractive doesn't it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You know what, before I do anything I'm going to try to reformat my computer first. Ever since I did some major cleaning I have had many issues like any memory stick my computer wants to format and even if I try to let it it says it cant. I tried burning a dvd data disk and that did not work too. So it seems like there's a few glitch's and maybe there's something in common. below is a link to the help I got. I don't know if you can see or detect any issues that went wrong but if you feel up for looking it might answer some of my questions I'm not capable of answering myself.

http://www.techsuppo...ot-working.html

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
was some post deleted?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No the help you got before was on another topic you had. Apparently then you started this topic. I just read the other one Here
That maybe the reason it appears some posts are deleted.
You also stated you were trying to get help on another tech support forum site. The other forum was supplying malware support from what I am reading.
They did clear you of all infections. Did you get a firewall installed?

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 04:30 PM.

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ops, what in the.... how did I manage that. I guess its not a good idea to do this late at night lol cause I could have sworn I he asked for my info stuff so I gave it. lol

I did get help for the malware issues but not long after that is when everything 'fell apart'. So since then I have reformatted, bought a USB network stick, and uninstalled Norton. Everything seems to be working now though I had some issues after I bought the USB. Odd thing is the built in network thingy came back on and messed up my internet connection. I disabled the built in network thingy and so far no issues..... *knock on wood*