Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP hangs on on boot

• Please log in to reply

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
here's the instructions
take your time with it
and you will need to set some time to go through this guide as well as perform the instructions

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi – i am back with the cd...

Thanks for that...

i did so far a lot of repairs and i know the instructions by heart... but this time will go through it again...

will start repair in a minute...

Thanks once more... will update you... D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I will be watching.
I also found another possible fix but want to see if the actions you are taking now will fix it first.
Post with your results. Good Luck :)

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well... it didn’t go well all...

I have make the pix, so it will be easier to follow...

I did started xp repair, and it loaded the files, it shows screen 1 – please see attached pic 01.

That was extremely odd as i have setup in bios default values...

Well... i have also attached few more pix, so i hope that this might help to resolve this mess:
- Pic 02: after unsuccessful xp repair, this is the screen with the hard drive diagnostic
- Pic 03: what is in bios boot option;
- Pic 04: this is screenshot of what should be hd eventually
- Pic 05: some log errors (which, to be true, no idea what they are stands for)

So, as for now is like this:
- I cannot run xp repair (pic 01); cannot do either safe mode boot (stops at the same place) or normal one (black screen) – although, whatever i do in bios it seems make no to much difference, as i am always left with press f1 or f2 on boot, were pressing either gives the everything already explained (tried with my xp disc as well, with few different bios options – but no luck...)

I have downloaded all dell’s thingies (for this pc’s product tag) – but can’t do too much with it, can i? There must be the way to boot it somehow...

Thank you guys for any advice... i am on my laptop and can act immediately... regards. D

Attached Thumbnails

• 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 04.jpg
  • 05.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok then lets try this
go to the recovery console and type in the following
after each command click enter

cd\windows
cd\ServicePackFiles
cd\I386
copy apgcpq.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

lets see if the I386 folder can help us out. Post back results

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 12:49 PM.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
thanks - im on it... pl give me just sec. D

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Unfortunately i cannot go into it... when i select recovery console (with xp home sp3 cd) i get the pic 01 as above...

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
... and this is the screenshot of boot with default bios setup...

Attached Thumbnails

• 06.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think we need to go back to a previous posting
Posts number 6 and 14
It may be time to copy files onto another drive and see about getting a original recovery cd from the manufacture.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
post 6: i have few spare graphic cards but none of them can be placed into dell’s box (pull out one from my pc also, and borrow one from neighbour as well – i cannot believe that of 6-7 bloody cards none can fit into dell’s box – that’s incredible)...

post 14: it seems i will have to buy it tomorrow... i don’t see what i could try more...

this is really so frustrating problem – never before was without options to boot the system – the worst case scenarios were just to repair the xp, but really never that can’t do anything....

will see tomorrow what will happen with the cable...

thank you very much for your help and time – i appreciate it very much... keep you posted tomorrow... regards. D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good luck and yes please keep me posted.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you with fixing the problem. Hopefully getting your data files will relieve some of the pain.
I know there are techs who check the threads. They may be able to offer more advice so keep a eye on here for any of them.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you...

I know that sometimes have to sweet for solution... unfortunately she doesn’t have the backup, and that’s the main (and only) problem actually... otherwise would be simple: boot from dell’s partition and there is factory installation – no problems - wouldn’t care (and she as well) to wipe all out...

But i cannot understand how company as dell can allow itself this thing... i mean there are zillions of articles of people with similar problem – and they are obviously aware of it, so cannot understand that they don’t have any solution on their support about that...

And also cannot believe that i cannot place any of cards into the box... i mean maybe this is usual problem that i am not aware of, but i know some bits and pieces (on amateurish-in-my-opinion-kind-of-level) – anyway, i have build my own pc: 4gb, 2 physical hd’s (each with 2 partition), cdrw, dvd, cards... everything working smoothly – if something wrong with system, data is always backed up... just reformat... but never have idea that cannot fit card into box... well you learn something every day...

Regards. D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell, Hp, Compaq, Gateway... most are what they call proprietary systems. Parts will only work in them that come from them. As for the card it is probably a pciexpress card and what you have is prob pci
Technology would leave us behind if we didn't upgrade once a year.