Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can an Antivirus be used for two machines by mapping the hard drive of

• Please log in to reply

Mobi

Mobi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi guyz,

I wanted to know what are the threats associated with using a single Antivirus on one machine and then mapping the drives of the other system for scanning those drives. I know that in that case the mapped drive’s data can be scanned only but not the processes and the memory. But what can be the other aspect of this approach I mean risks or threats? Is there any better soultion for that?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have no direct answer to your question because I never tried but I wonder why would you like to do that? Why not install an antivirus to each computer?

Mobi

Mobi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am running out of license on one machine and that's why I wanted to know this informaiotn as I do not want to get another License if my system can be protected with the same level of protection by using one AV and mapping the drive of the other system

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why not install a free antivisus. In my opinion Avast is the best antivirus that you can put your hands on, and it's free. For a free firewall you can use Comodo (which I never used) or ZoneAlarm free (which I used for a long time but got rid of it) or consider leaving Microsoft's firewall (which I do and consider it to be a good enough, utterly trouble free utility).

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Mobi

Quote: I know that in that case the mapped drive’s data can be scanned only but not the processes and the memory. But what can be the other aspect of this approach I mean risks or threats?

Well.. you may or may not know.. that malware can forum in the memory....

Running a computer with an infection in the memory ( or any where in that fact ) is dangerous...

the computer at minimal would need to have a "Boot time "" scan every time you a scan...

to fix these type of infections will require you to remove the malware/infection before it is active.. therefore , before the computer "boots "

I would also recommend avast as everytime you run avast it will scan the memery for infections... if one is found it will ask to schedule a boot scan...

iam not recommending avast simply for that fact...but because overall it is very reliable...

Quiet high detection rate and after all it is free :)

anyway... time for bed lol

Best of luck

Anthony19

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
another drawback (knowing some small amounts about your network from your other posts....assuming this is one of those machines)....you're going to consume A LOT of bandwidth with the network scan....and since the scanner is going to have to work across the network the machine running the AV is going to slow down A LOT during the scan and it will take QUITE a while for the scan to complete (depending on the size of the target drive)...

i agree with the rest as far as installing a free AV...HOWEVER make sure to read the EULA for the one you choose since all of the free ones are for home use only...if this is for your work computers...you're going to need to buy something