Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A General Post on Attitude

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kalasnjikov

kalasnjikov

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a post for everyone seeking to help anyone who posts on this site.

People who post on this site about malware infections or any other problems they have with their computers are, in general, frustrated, scared, angry, and probably feeling a bit powerless in their ability to successfully operate their rig in a world of malicious malware. They may not be adept at articulating the exact nature of their problem, and certainly not its scope, as users tend to deal with local problems like not being able to load a program, or get online, etc. That said, the last thing these people need (myself included) is to be made to feel dumb by the person who is ostensibly helping them.

With my first thread on this site, I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with someone who was immature, and not only accused me of being sarcastic, but made an effort to make me feel stupid. Now, I am certain that this was an anomaly, and that most of the people who moderate and who work on user's problems are nice, hardworking, helpful and courteous. I know they are nice, because they are taking their own valuable time and donating it to a larger community.

Please just remember the state of mind that comes when a computer goes haywire, and be mindful of it when walking a user though a solution.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi kalasjnikov,

A few articles you should read:
Have you ever noticed how easy it is to offend someone else online?
A Beginners Guide to Expert Forums on the Net

Then when you have kindly helped as many people as the Moderator that helped you, post back and maybe you can get into a mature discussion.
With the current state of affairs I doubt you stand a fair chance.

Have a nice day and enjoy your fixed computer.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...this is a two-edged sword. It is just as easy to get offended :) by a post where there was no offense intended as it is to offend someone in a post, whether intentionally or not. :) :) That's why there are such things as emoticons, *comments*, etc. :no: The 'anonymous' nature of the Internet also tends to make it somewhat impersonal, so, as previously noted, you don't get to see the person who is posting and to get some idea of his or her feelings. :) Sometimes we all need to just slow down and think for a minute about what we're trying to say and how we're trying to say it and take the few extra seconds and keystrokes necessary to try and add some 'personality' to what we're trying to say... :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I try to joke around too much on here :) And I will say, it really doesn't ever seem to go well. I think from now on I'm just gonna type what needs to be typed and "type/talk" in a monotone way. I currently am worried about a couple topics I have posted in, thinking I came off the wrong way :)

My point is just stick to business I guess and don't even try to interpret it as funny, immature, serious or anything really. Just type what needs to be typed, period.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

They may not be adept at articulating the exact nature of their problem, and certainly not its scope, as users tend to deal with local problems like not being able to load a program, or get online, etc. That said, the last thing these people need (myself included) is to be made to feel dumb by the person who is ostensibly helping them.

I feel very dumb right now; I need a dictionary :)

Being misunderstood through online chat happens far too often. Lack of patience by someone may have contributed to the unintentional happenings where one was hurt in the process of cleaning an infected computer. All the same, Post #5 wasn't exactly a perfect example of understanding, patience, or control of attitude.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but next time, it would be best to let the person know how you've interpreted their post(s) and how you feel about it. Two wrongs don't make a right, especially if they were accidentally posted in a way that the poster did not intend them to be interpreted by the reader for whom they were posted for..

All is a just big misunderstanding by my opinion.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Another point to consider (and this may or may not apply to the original OP and helper) is that English is not everybody's first language. Sometimes people try and express what they mean but their use of the English language isn't exactly 100% what they were trying to convey.

I'm sure I could reword that a lot better, as well. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I try to joke around too much on here :) And I will say, it really doesn't ever seem to go well. I think from now on I'm just gonna type what needs to be typed and "type/talk" in a monotone way. I currently am worried about a couple topics I have posted in, thinking I came off the wrong way :)

My point is just stick to business I guess and don't even try to interpret it as funny, immature, serious or anything really. Just type what needs to be typed, period.

it's not your posting style...we just don't like you :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

it's not your posting style...we just don't like you

:) I knew I came off a little strong with my "research rant" the other day. Sorry! :) Is all forgiven?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll think about it....i'm easily bribed though...so you've got that going for you

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
This topic offends me! Humph! And I thought this was a family friendly site...all this talk of mature discussions... :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
<---Clicks on dsenette's donation link, $1,000,000.00 and a Ferrari of your choice. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Ok, ok, I know I'm late to the party, but better late than never. Right? :)

I've been doing this for a lot of years now - nearly seven already! :) During that time, I've walked away from my computer in tears many times. It is very difficult at times to convey the proper emotions and intent in an online environment. People who are "abrupt" and "to the point" in the real world, speak the same way online. However, it can come across online as being "harsh" or "rude", when that's not really what they mean at all. It's that they are simply the same way they normally are. Even though they don't intend to sound rude - it just happens. It's very easy to misunderstand each other in this type of environment, yes. I try to tell people to read things online with a grain of proverbial salt. :)

Please don't take offense to anything a member of our staff says. I can guarantee you that none of them are trying to make you feel stupid intentionally. If they did - they would no longer be on our staff. :)

Kati.Pea

Kati.Pea

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi community,

I'm a somewhat new member of the site. At the moment, I am having a very active discussion with my new hero, Essexboy, about the nasties done by pcdefender.

Aside from being knowledgeable, he is very jovial, which I like. However, I feel stymied by the limited emoticons you offer here. On another site where I'm a member, there's a slew of emoticons, which fully complement a discussion.

Is there a reason for offering such a limited range of emoticons? :)

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hi community,

I'm a somewhat new member of the site. At the moment, I am having a very active discussion with my new hero, Essexboy, about the nasties done by pcdefender.

Aside from being knowledgeable, he is very jovial, which I like. However, I feel stymied by the limited emoticons you offer here. On another site where I'm a member, there's a slew of emoticons, which fully complement a discussion.

Is there a reason for offering such a limited range of emoticons? :)

...that may be a function of the particular software this board is using :) ; if that is indeed the case, the administrators most likely have little to no control over it :) ...

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

People who are "abrupt" and "to the point" in the real world, speak the same way online.

Please don't take offense to anything a member of our staff says. I can guarantee you that none of them are trying to make you feel stupid intentionally. If they did - they would no longer be on our staff. :)

Sometimes it may seem someone is being blunt. In the end, it turns out they were just trying to help. Frustration and uncertainty may come upon someone who needs help, but lacks the computer experience to follow what the staff says. The important part is, is to ask as many questions as possible to make sure you fully understand the information given.