Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A Commen Sense Question

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I'm just reading the manual and see that I have to plug in the cables from the ethernet devices on each of the three computers to the appropriate places on the wireless router.

Is this just a one-time affair in order for the wireless router to recognize each computer?

Here's our computers' information, and the router and modem:

Machines Modem and Router Info

The Mac:

OS X Version 10.4.11

Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
  Machine Model:	PowerMac7,3
  CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.1)
  Number Of CPUs:	2
  CPU Speed:	2.7 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
  Memory:	5.5 GB
  Bus Speed:	1.35 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:	5.2.4f1

----------

Mine:

Dell Optiplex GX260

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Celeron CPU 2.20GHz
2.19, 512 MB of RAM

Used space:  8.37 GB
Free space:   27.8 GB

----------

Hers:

Dell XPS 400

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 300 GB of RAM

Used space:  52.3 GB
Free space:   91.6 GB

----------

Router:

D-Link  DIR-628
Rangebooster N
Dual Band Router

Plus, if important and/or valuable:  

D-Link  DWA-160
XTreme N
Dual Band USB Adapter

Modem:

ARRIS Touchstone Telephony Modem
This is all the information I know to offer on this.

I did a wired home network some five years ago and can't tell you how I succeeded--I don't remember.

I'm going to try the CD first and if that fails I'd have to do it manually.

And even before I can do this I've got to get to her computer and replace the fan. It's the fan right in front that's making an "I'm about to die" something like a grinding noise. I've opened the case and see no way to get to that fan. Behind it is what looks like a solid box (power supply? I'm guessing.) that is in the way. If there's a way to get to that fan without removing that box I don't see it. And same with that box: I see no way to remove it. Actually it looks like something I shouldn't even try to remove.

So actually two major questions here:

The answer to the wireless question I'm looking for is that when finished the wireless router will be the only thing in our network that will be plugged into the wall; that all these cables in our wired network will be gone.

The answer to the fan question I took the liberty to throw in here. I've done the necessary searches here but since it resides in a specific computer model I haven't found it. I open our computers every four months and have been able to remove the dust on the fans, but this one although clean I think really needs replaced.

Much obliged if this post is looked at and taken seriously, in spite of the fact that I assume I ought to know the answer to the wireless question.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 01 April 2009 - 09:11 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

I'm just reading the manual and see that I have to plug in the cables from the ethernet devices on each of the three computers to the appropriate places on the wireless router.

Is this just a one-time affair in order for the wireless router to recognize each computer?

Here's our computers' information, and the router and modem:

this is incorrect....you only need to plug ONE computer in so that you can configure the wireless portion of the router...such as the security functions.... obviously if you could configure the settings wirelessly then anyone who can connect to your router wirelessly (i.e. sitting in your driveway) could lock you out of your own equipment

for the fan thing...any way of getting detailed pictures of what you're talking about? i'm at a loss as to what you're describing

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I don't know if this will do you much good, but here is a view of what you can see of the fan from the outside of the computer:

http://tracyfineart....gital/front.jpg

And two with the case open. Again hard to see, but it shows the fan casing and the "box" right next to it and behind it.

http://tracyfineart....tal/inside1.jpg

http://tracyfineart....tal/inside2.jpg

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
It was that big Dell box that I couldn't see a way to remove. Looking closer I saw two screws which I unscrewed and swiveled that thing out. It had vertical tubes and thin vertical "plates". Anyway, that out of the way I got to the fan. It was crusted with thick soft dust which I removed with a soft artist's brush. Then with compressed air blew away the dust from the fan, holding the fan still with my finger. Did the same with the dust on the Dell box and the entire inside of the computer once I got everything secured. Her computer is now running quietly.

As for the wireless router, you say,

...you only need to plug ONE computer in so that you can configure the wireless portion of the router....

That would be my computer I suppose. But that's if I do this manually, right? The CD that came with the router might work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

That would be my computer I suppose. But that's if I do this manually, right? The CD that came with the router might work.

running the cd from the router is usually unnecessary (and a pain)...if you follow the manual that came with the router to configure the wireless portion...you will just need to plug A computer (yours or otherwise) into the router for the duration of the configuration....once it's configured you can unplug the PC from the router

glad you got the fan thing fixed...kind of lost track of this thread for a bit

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You have a wireless router, but do all your computers have a wireless card/adapter in them?

D-Link DWA-160
XTreme N
Dual Band USB Adapter

I assume this is what you have in each of the computers.

If not, then the computer will not connect wirelessly. Just trying to make sure.

What dsenette is saying is that you need to connect to 1 of them to set it up and set security.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
dsenette says:

you will just need to plug A computer (yours or otherwise) into the router for the duration of the configuration....once it's configured you can unplug the PC from the router.

Can I? Once all is finished? See below.* I've still got wires everywhere.

123Runner says:

You have a wireless router, but do all your computers have a wireless card/adapter in them?

I don't know. I would ask you: "Do all my computers have a wireless card/adapter in them?" Something's working, so my answer would be "I suppose they do."

Yes, it's a D-Link DWA-160
XTreme N
Dual Band USB Adapter

But this adapter is now connected to only my computer.

The fan problem. This I gave up on. I did what I could buying a new fan but it had a three-colored wiring whereas the old fan had five. I had to call in a professional who attached the new fan and with the computer (Hers) plugged in and open he used a small incredibly bright flash light to look around. Finally he had to take that computer to his shop. I'm guessing I'll get that back today. *Never did connect that computer to the wireless router--I suppose that when I do it will be recognized. (I'm amazed that it found the Macintosh with nothing else that had to be done.) Then can I unplug all three computers from the router? And place the router somewhere else besides on the floor where it's attached to the modem? It does say to place the router high up in the room.

My Network Connection Speed is at 130.0 Mbps. I expected better, but all is not finished and as I say the router is on the floor. Before the speed was at 100.0 Mbps. Not that I know what this means. Only that I happened to notice the before and after speeds.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
123Runner:

To continue: The answer was No. This morning I had installed in "Hers" such an adapter. It's a:

D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter

Again, as I understand it, my computer doesn't require it since a

D-Link DWA-160
XTreme N
Dual Band USB Adapter

is connected to my computer. Am I correct here?

This has got to be easier than I'm making it.

Both PCs say they are connected both to the internet and all computers are able to share files, folders and a printer.

I just don't feel that I'm finished.

I'm eager to unplug the ethernet cables from the D-Link router and plug in the router to a central location high off the ground where it sits now. Am I ready for that?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You should be all set to go.

The D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter is a PCI card that you installed inside her computer. You are done with hers.

The D-Link DWA-160 XTreme N Dual Band USB Adapter plugs in to a USB slot. this is what you are using. You are done.

The D-Link DIR-628 Rangebooster N Dual Band Router is what you are using as the router. You are wired to it with cables. It has wireless capability.
The fact that you are sharing files and a printer would indicate it is working. However, you are still wired.

Your next step is to unhook all the cables and see if you can still connect. Chances are that you will be good to go.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Your next step is to unhook all the cables and see if you can still connect.

So, I'm thinking shut down all computers. Unplug all cables from the router. Plug in the router in a different location and then fire up and see if all is good to go.

If not, go back to where I had everything working and look for problems.

Thanks so much,

Robert

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
From 123Runner:

Your next step is to unhook all the cables and see if you can still connect. Chances are that you will be good to go.

Unhooked all. All except one. The Macintosh. I unplug this and I'm not online on the Mac.

You ask:

A wireless card/adapter for the Mac should finish the job.

You and dsenette have been a great help. Thank you for taking me seriously.

Robert

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Thats great to know.
We talked about and worked on hers and your computer and never said anything about the mac. I forgot all about that.

And, yes, a card for the mac will finish you up.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

We talked about and worked on hers and your computer and never said anything about the mac. I forgot all about that.

And, yes, a card for the mac will finish you up.

Ah! Yes, I'm trying to find the card for the Mac. Can you suggest what and where I can obtain this?

In Utilities I've got an AirPort Admin Utility. Also AirPort Setup Assistant. Clicking the former it says "Select Base Station". There is none. Clicking the latter I have "No Airport card installed: if you click continue, you will only be able to configure AirPort Base Stations using ethernet."

As an aside, I'm of course eager to unplug the cable from the Mac to the router. I'm probably guessing here, but I did read the manual where it says to place the router and modem in a central location and high up (I have a place ideal for that). My PC is closest to these that are on the floor two feet from my PC and six feet from Linda's and also from the Mac. I timed this morning just how long it takes for me to go from clicking on the Firefox shortcut to getting online: 31 seconds. Linda is there in 3 seconds. The Mac is online instantly. Wonder why this discrepancy. Could be anything. And it's a whole different issue I suspect.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Sorry, I can't help on the mac.

But signal strength, upload, download speed is dependant on a few factors.
Distance from router to computer, interferance from metal, wall, phones in house, etc. Anything can cause interferance.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
It's OK about the Mac. I found that I've got to get an Airport card that is specific to my Mac's serial number. Also this AirPort Extreme with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR card is not a DIY (do-it-yourself) part. Went to the Apple site just knowing the nearest Apple shops are an hour away in Indianapolis. Been to Indy countless times and always get lost. But after typing in my area code there it was! A shop 2.8 miles from me. Called and they can do this.

As for your advise concerning signal strength, upload, download speed being dependant on

[d]istance from router to computer, interferance from metal, wall, phones in house, etc. Anything can cause interferance.

This is all valuable information.

As it is now, the router and modem are on the floor 2 feet from my PC and 6 feet from Linda's PC and the Mac. Once I have the AirPort card installed I plan to move the router and modem on a 6' tall pedestal against a far wall in our computer room almost centered and some 12 feet from any of our three computers.

Much thanks,

Bob