Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need $1500 Gaming Comp Build.

• Please log in to reply

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Actually, that Gigabyte board you suggest Ferrari has Crossfire support. However, if you flash the BIOS to F5 then SLI is also supported. There's quite a few X58 motherboards that supports both SLI and Crossfire (its the only chipset that does anyway) it just depends on the price and model. See the board's specification here.

If you can afford it, Core i7 setup is good. It performs quite well and you would be able to upgrade your CPU without replacing your motherboard.
With the Core 2 Quad setup you picked, that's pretty much the highest you can go. Intel is not going to make any high-end LGA 775 compatible CPUs because they're going to stick with the LGA 1366 socket.

Kamille

Thanks that helped alot :). I guess I'll be getting a core i7 then :). Specailly if that mobo can support SLI that would be great :). Then when I want to upgrade I can just get another vid card and put them together.

I'll look at it later today hopefully and post my final build agin :).

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
kfuchs,

I think since that board can support an upgrade for a future faster processor and now that we know with a BIOS Flash it can support SLI, that is definately the better way to go. You should be able to play games for quite a few years with no problems with that set up.

Keep an eye on the prices of the i7 Extreme 6.4GT/S over the next couple of years. Plus getting a matching video card to what you have picked out right now will be cheaper in a couple years also. Nice, lots of options. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
kfuchs,

I have read some reviews on the Gigabyte board I recommended. I wanted to let you know that if you do a windows update for the Onboard Lan Drivers there seems to be problems. If you just install the drivers from the cd that comes with the board you should be fine. Deny any Windows Update for it. Whichever way it turns out, if you can't seem to get the LAN to work, then just buy a cheap PCI Card. They are pretty inexpensive. $20 or so.

Also, the board seems to have a 10 second pause for some reason when you first boot. Apparently this is normal. Why?, I don't know. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Other than that, the reviews were really really good. Some complained about the board being Dead On Arrival(DOA) but that would be with anything you buy, not just this specific motherboard. People seem to write reviews more for when there is a problem, not when everything is perfect, ya know? I've actually decided to go with that board for my build this Summer :)

Thought I would let you know.

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok I got a q.

Gigabyte Mobo 1

The only difference between ^ that mobo and

This one > Gigabyte mobo 2 is what kamile was talking about? The one for 209 is just a mobo with the F5 bios already there? And the other one I would have to flash? right?

If thats the case then I might pay the extra 10 to just not have to deal with flashing it :).

Edited by kfuchs, 07 April 2009 - 08:05 AM.

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Final Build:
Processor
Ram
Vid Card
Hard Drive
Case
Power Supply
Heat Sink << Will this fit the LGA 1366?
Mobo << choosing this one if the only diff is the f5 bios.

Current monitor chioce: Monitor

Edit: added this DVD burner

Total so far: 1,520.63 << w/shipping

I'm a little over budget I guess but thats ok :).

Edited by kfuchs, 07 April 2009 - 08:52 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are correct about the motherboard. I don't know why I didn't see that before, it may of been more expensive and then the price came down. I'm not sure. Good looking out :)

Read this Post from earlier in this topic from Kamille about the heatsink in question. She gives a review and a link to the bracket that you will need to buy extra to make that heatsink work. Earlier Post

I think you are going to be very happy with this setup. Its really the best you could have in my opinion. Anything more than this gets insane! :) I urge you to take a look on youtube about i7's. Just search for i7 or overclocking i7. Especially "the making of i7" or "i7 Systems" etc. I have been watching some videos about it lately and I have decided to save up for it for my build this summer. Very impressive.

Everything looks good!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The heatsink will not fit your motherboard as its only compatible with an LGA 775 socket however you can get this support bracket so you can use that heatsink.

Kamille

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The heatsink will not fit your motherboard as its only compatible with an LGA 775 socket however you can get this support bracket so you can use that heatsink.

Kamille

Ok I got the build but the support bracket does not fit my mobo lol there are a bunch of resistors in my way. Plus I see how the support bracket is supposed to attach to the mobo and its just a sticky pad. To be honest I dont really trust a sticky pad to hold that big thing in place :).

So I'm gonna have to return the heatsink and get a new one I guess. Can somone suggest me a 1366 heatsink thats not to costly. I dont mind a support braket but its gotta screw in or something I wont trust a sticky pad :).

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think I see what you are saying now about the capacitors. The support bracket is supposed to be screwed in though. Take a look at the pictures and the reviews on Newegg.com.(Click on Kamille's link.) That seems to confirm this.

Here is a similar one by xigmatek for 1366 CPU's Take a look at all the 1366 Heat Sinks and Fans (Some are for LGA 775 or 1366 which probably comes with a similar bracket as the one you bought, so they may not work.) There is a thermalright one that looks to be similar as the one you had bought in that link. The best thing to do with any component you buy is research it some and read the reviews on it. Remember, you can always use the stock heatsink that came with your i7 cpu, it just may not do as good of a job as an aftermarket one, especially since you will be gaming.

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok so I realized my problem lol. I thought that retention bracket went on TOP of the proccessor I was like how is this even supposed to fit :).

NOW I realize its supposed to go under the mobo and then you use the screws to sorta squeeze the mobo! :).

thanks :no:. I guess thats wat I get for being in a rush to play video games lol.

[bleep] now i gotta retake everything apart and reput it together :) ARGGGGG!!! STUPID STUPID ME :).

At least I'll get to admire the beauty of this bad boy one more time.

Also 1 more thing I was wondering if theres any instructions on how to overclock with the Gigabyte Ex58-UD3R. Theres so many options and If anyone knows of a little manual or youtube vid for that bios it would defintly help :).

Edited by kfuchs, 10 April 2009 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I am currently researching on learning about overclocking. I have found several videos on youtube.com. But, remember that every processor is different. Numbers that may work for someone else with the same processor may not work for you. But you can get the general idea. Search for i7 920 overclocking on youtube. There are several.

Here is one of the more clear and "professional type" ones. Overclocking Tutorial

NOW I realize its supposed to go under the mobo and then you use the screws to sorta squeeze the mobo!

I was wondering if you had it mixed up. Read the review of this support bracket on Newegg by the user "Timeless" HERE Gives some good instructions I think.

Edit: Use CPU-Z to see the specifications of the processor and all. Use Cinebench R10 to benchmark it.(Test how long it takes to load a picture) Pretty cool.

Edited by Ferrari, 10 April 2009 - 03:09 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Almost forgot, here is one on Geekstogo! How to Overclock.