Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I run 2 different Outlook Express installations?

• Please log in to reply

WBensburg

WBensburg

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First, another word of thanks for the great work you do.

I've just upgraded my computer after almost 12 years. What I'd like to do is start fresh with Outlook Express (already done), but access my old and saved emails separately to edit out what I don't want anymore before combining the two applications. So I'd like to click on one shortcut to launch Outlook Express to get current email and reply, etc., and click on another shortcut to launch an "old" Outlook Express which doesn't go online and I can review saved emails, delete them, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Noticed you say you are using Win 98. If you just bought a new computer, is that running Vista? If so, the Windows Mail program IS Outlook Express in its new form. Uses different format than the originat OE folders, but it has a utility for importing all OE stuff. You just need to export all the settings/contacts/emails from the old OE.

Some helpful info:

How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data

Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express

Migrate from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

WBensburg

WBensburg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful postings!
We elected to go with Windows XP, SP3 (that's the latest & greatest, right?) rather than Vista, and hope Windows 7 isn't a bomb. I'm using Outlook Express, which came with that system.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then if you follow the instructions for exporting everything from the old OE, it will make it even easier to import the folders and settings into OE on XP.

Moving Files and Settings to a New PC

WBensburg

WBensburg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, but that won't get me what I want. That will get me one "version" of OE on my new machine that has hundreds, if not thousands of old emails that I'd prefer to go through separately. I'd like to "start from scratch" with OE, keeping up with maintenance, using folders, etc. and leave the old stuff in a separate application.

WBensburg

WBensburg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
And good Lord! Why hasn't anybody told me about the transfer wizard?! You guys are super!!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Yes, but that won't get me what I want. That will get me one "version" of OE on my new machine that has hundreds, if not thousands of old emails that I'd prefer to go through separately. I'd like to "start from scratch" with OE, keeping up with maintenance, using folders, etc. and leave the old stuff in a separate application.

Well, to get back to the original question. :) OE is a one instance program. This is an app that allows multiple instances according to the info:

MultiOE

You also could get something like ThunderBird/IncrediMail programs and import all the old stuff from OE and keep your new OE pristine.

Might try to set up two Profiles in your new OE and import the old stuff to one Profile and just switch back and forth when you need to.

Essential OE Tools

Lot a people don't know about the Wizard. Just like they don't know they can customize/edit the HTML source content of their email. I put my embedded video/music media player code inside so they have the player showing and ready to play.

Edited by Major Payne, 02 April 2009 - 12:15 AM.