Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

half open tcp connections

• Please log in to reply

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I play an online game called Second Life and for a while now it has become increasingly difficult to log in. The game will hang at log in for a long time before finally logging in, but then I won't actually be connected. I'll have to close out and retry several times before I can actually get in.

I've configured my reg edit to run task manager as the shell and run my virus protection at start up. I then use a batch file to start Second Life and clear cache on start up. I then have to use the task manager to restart Second Life when log in fails.

One of my co-workers told me that with Windows XP SP2 and later as well as later operating systems changed the TCP settings to a half open TCP and that I would need to change this to fix the problem. Can you please tell me how to fix this or at least recommend something else that might fix the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Krakůw my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I don't know about your game, but, if removing the limit on half-open connection (which by default is set to 10) is supposed to cure your problem, there is a patch for it: http://www.mydigital...7-vista-and-xp/

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
That did not seem to fix my problem. I'm still having troubles getting logged in. My computer is kinda old and I'm afraid I may be forced to buy a new one. If anyone can look into how to fix this for me I'd apreciate it. When I get home I'll post my computer information.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To help broni out please post the following information on your system

Make and Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If it is custom then I will need the following
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Dell Dimension 4600
Windows XP Home
At least 8 years old. I will have to try to find an exact age, but I'm not sure if I can.
2GB RAM
80 GB HDD (My 160 BG HDD just died.)
I also have a 500GB external hooked up.
It has nothing but Windows XP Home and SL installed so It has over 70 GB left.
2.4 GHz processor Intel
IDE interface
All PCI slots are free
I just reinstalled Windows XP, but the problem has existed for quite a while. I've reformated several times since the problem started. It began about a year ago. Right now nothing is on the computer but Windows XP Home, Second Life, and the latest drivers for all my hardware (That I'm aware of.)

EDIT:
Alright, hereís the scoop. I had one Dell Dimension 4600 with a 2.4 GHz Intel processor, 2 GB RAM, an NVIDIA 5500 which I ran two monitors off of, and I ran a third monitor off of the onboard graphics. Was running Windows XP Pro, and ran SL, video editing hardware and software, all sorts of programs, and I had all sorts of junk installed on it. It has a 160 GB HDD, 80 GB HDD, and an external 500 GB HDD. It was all I wanted and it was all good. (Other than the fact that SL still hung at log in.)

My wife had a Dell Dimension 2500 (I think) with a 2.0 GHz Intel processor, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP Home installed, and we never touched it.

We have recently moved, and when we got done moving I found my computer dead. After reformatting several times, trying to upgrade to Windows 7, back down to Windows XP Pro, then back down to Windows XP Home. After running several tests I decided my 160 GB HDD was dead to I took it out and went to my 80 GB HDD and found that one dead to. I then had to take that one out to and take the HDD from my wifeís computer and put it in mine to get it running. Initially I tried to put Windows XP Pro on it, but it still did not work so I went back down to Windows XP Home and it worked fine. (Iím assuming a possible defect on the Pro CD.) I also ripped out all of the expansion cards, ripped out the HDD cooler, and stripped the entire computer down to the bare basics that I would need to run SL and nothing more. I even got rid of the explorer.exe shell and Iím running Task Manager as the shell. I have no icons, no start menu and mo Microsoft junk to take up resources and Iím running strictly SL and virus protection.

I plan on getting my wifeís computer up and running to run everything else though I need to get a RAM upgrade as well as a new HDD for it.

Iím thinking this will be best since SL is so intensive on the computer and puts such a large load on it I donít want the computer to strain any more than it has to just to run these extra programs in the background on top of trying to run SL.

Right now my main concern is to get my main computer as focused on SL as I possibly can. Once I am satisfied with it then I will work on getting my wifeís computer up and running.

Iíd like to know what you think about this idea, any recommendations you may have, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. Iím going to need quite some help in getting these computers set up and fine tuned to my specific wants and needs as Iím tired of Microsoft thinking that they can take over my computer.

Thatís that, hopefully this will give you a better idea what Iím working with and Iím kind of going through withdrawals. :)

PS: Iíve already tried to install like 10 different Linux and Unix operating systems and I canít seem to get anything to run right. Either I canít find the drivers I need or I just canít figure out how to use Linux/Unix.

Edited by Oreo Collas, 02 April 2009 - 01:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

Krakůw my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

That did not seem to fix my problem

As I said, I was replying only to the half-open connection issue.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I know. That's all I'm working on right now. Thanks for the tip though. I think that opened up more for me. I just need to figure out what's going on and why it did not fix my computer.