Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get scanner software installed

• Please log in to reply

firestorm1

firestorm1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently bought a new flatbed scanner to replace one that had just stopped working. The old one was a Visioneer 7100 and the new one is a Visioneer 7300, both with Paperport software. I can't get the new software to install. The installation process keeps getting "interupted" (according to the window that pops up) and aborts. I've tried uninstalling everything and starting over, disabling my antivirus program, rebooting the computer....nothing works. The troubleshooting section of the owners manual just repeats all the installation instructions. The scanner installs and works but with no document management program to take the scan it's about useless. Has anyone else seen this problem. If so, how did you solve it. The software is Paperport 8. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I'm using the installation disc that came with the scanner.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two issues I have found about this scanner with little research
First one is there seems to be no support for it if you have vista. Since you don't that is not a issue for you
Second there also is a issue with installing the software if you have Xp and SP2 installed on your system.
I'm still looking to see if there is a way to install it. Please be patient but we will find out for you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 02:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found more info for you. It will work with SP2 if you install the software before you plug the scanner into your system. If you don't then it will cause the problem you are describing.
Let me know if it works and I will keep researching this for you

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I checked and I have SP3 instead of SP2.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I also read in the manual about the importance of not pluging in the scanner to the system until told to at the end of the installation process.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is scanner manufacturers website
direct link to uninstalling previous versions and installing new ersion. It's long but try this.
There is a uninstall software that makes sure all traces of old software is gone.

Visioneer

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm still running IE6 so maybe that's not an issue. I uninstalled the the driver, ran the three utilities, and reinstalled the scanner and software per the instructions you steered me to. I found several entries under "imaging devices" that I deleted but when I reinstalled...same thing. I wrote what it said down so I'd be sure of it. It said the same thing about being "interupted" and this. "Paperport component MAXLINK3.DLL failed to clean up properly. Some system resources might be wasted." Maybe this will help.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Does anyone think that this scanner (Visioneer 7300) while new, may not be compatable at all with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am researching this and will post any results I can find for you.
How long ago did you purchase the scanner?
I can see they do have newer ones available Visioneer

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The scanner was purchased online about a week a half ago. I got this one because it replaced a Visioneer 7100 I had for quite some time and worked great until the day it quit.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, did you get a warranty with this new one?
The reason I ask is I'm going to get a more experienced tech to take a look at this topic and see if they can offer any help. I just don't want to go past your warranty period in case you do indeed have to send it back and get a replacement or newer model.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, the standard warranty that comes with a new unit.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,
My name is Cbarnard

I have been looking this thread over.

I recently bought a new flatbed scanner to replace one that had just stopped working. The old one was a Visioneer 7100 and the new one is a Visioneer 7300, both with Paperport software. I can't get the new software to install. The installation process keeps getting "interupted" (according to the window that pops up) and aborts. I've tried uninstalling everything and starting over, disabling my antivirus program, rebooting the computer....nothing works. The troubleshooting section of the owners manual just repeats all the installation instructions. The scanner installs and works but with no document management program to take the scan it's about useless. Has anyone else seen this problem. If so, how did you solve it. The software is Paperport 8. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I'm using the installation disc that came with the scanner.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

What antivirus are you using?
What software fo you use for spyware and malware?
what firewall are you using?

From what I can see this software "visoneer" can be temperamental during the install. Please post back with all versions of the above requested software you are using, we have to make sure all of them are disabled... Then maybe we can get it to install...

Good Luck
Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 06 April 2009 - 12:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If after doing the steps Cbarnard suggested and the software still does not install then we both agree that it would be better to return this unit and look at a newer model if not a different brand. I can speak from personal experience as I have owned a scanner made by Visioneer and even then I was having software issues with it. I do not like being the one with bad news but to save ourself some grieve and time I would suggest return and buy a newer model and or different manufacturer.
Please let us know how this works out and if you decide to follow my suggestion please let me know how that works for you.

firestorm1

firestorm1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have boxed the scanner up and it is now waiting for pickup. I tried all the suggestions and still it would not work, so I called and they agreed to take it back. I wanted to thank you two for all your time and attention. It's good to know helpful people like you. Again, my sincere thanks.