Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not load

• Please log in to reply

Erica1975

Erica1975

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I turn the Lap top on it acts like it is about to load. When it doesn't it takes me to the screen with options like safe mode,etc. When I select the first 3 options a bunch of writing pops up. (Black and white) The last couple of options seem to loops me back around to this safe mode screen again. I cannot get anywhere, this is the first time this has happened. Is there a way I can go though DOS and fix this? Thanks, Erica

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It takes you to a menu with options like Safe mode and such?

Try booting into safe mode. Do you have your XP install disc? Also first try to boot with Last Known Good Configuration.

Tell me what that bunch of writing exactly is.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

If the system just returns to the startup option screen, you may have a hard drive error. You will need to boot from your XP cd, Press "R" to repair at the 1st screen that comes up and run CHKDSK /r, once you get to the DOS prompt. Hopefully, that will repair the error...(sometimes I've had the routine return with the message that says, "This volume contains unrepairable errors" :)) But even if that happens, the fact that it is trying to start means that your data can probably be retrieved. If you need more help, just ask..

Hope this helps...