Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 vs. 32

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I have an AMD Atholon X2 64 processor, on a 64-bit motherboard. I know if i install a 32-bit OS the manual says it needs to be SP2, which is no big deal, but right now Im looking at buying a new XP OS. I have been told that 64-bit is more trouble than its worth, but i was just wondering from other views, which is better?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello drmoneejd...

I run 64 bit systems, both Vista and Windows 7, and have had none of the issues I've seen others complain about. Driver support is better now than in the past and it allows for running applications in x86 compatibility. In addition, 64 bit systems support more RAM which helps the system to run faster while remaining more stable. And 64 bit systems are nice for gaming and other graphically intense applications.

wannabe1

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks for your input :) , and thats great to hear, as i myself kinda think it would be safer to go with 64-bit. however, i plan to get XP, unless I figure out that seven is coming out soon. and i was going to try the beta, but sadly never got around to it. So basically I must ask this: do you know how well it works with XP, or do you know when seven is even predicted to come out?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The folks I know who are running 64 bit XP initially had a few problems getting drivers for some older hardware, but, as I stated, support has improved dramatically the last couple years. I wouldn't anticipate you having problems unless your hardware is quite old.

Windows 7 is currently scheduled for release early in 2010, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if they released it a tad early. It's incredibly stable even as a beta and driver problems are a non issue. It runs hardware that Vista won't and I have yet to find an application I couldn't install...though some have to be run in compatibility mode for Vista or XP.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok. I dont know if you've heard all the horrible things, but I've only heard bad about vista. i need a new OS though. so i was wondering just which is better, XP or Vista? and how are the backwards compatibility features on it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Vista has proven very problematic for some people, whether being caused by hardware or the user not understanding the nuances of the platform, there have been problems reported by many. Personally, I've used Vista since it was in beta and have not experienced these problems. Early on there were driver problems, but the same was true of XP when it was first released. It takes hardware venders a while to get a handle on drivers. It would appear that Windows 7 is an exception to this, however.

Each operating system will have pros and cons, but it's the negative things one hears about simply because nobody complains about the good things. So...short answer...If you have the hardware to run Vista, it will not give you problems. Do not count on running Vista using the minimum suggested requirements without issues...you need a strong platform for Vista for it to run as well as it's capable of running. If you are not sure of your platform's readiness for Vista, stick with XP and wait for Windows 7.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok, thanks. I think I'm gonna go with a 64-bit XP home. Thanks for your opinion. :)