Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uh... I have a bit of a problem...

• Please log in to reply

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My dog knocked over a little bit of soda on my CD-ROM drive. Yes, I actually mean a little, I'm not under-exaggerating. It got into the part where that little ribbon is. I got it out with a paper towel, and it dried off and everything, but now my CD drive won't work.

It's making a loud clunky-type noise, and it refuses to read any disc I put in there, whether it's the system reboot disc or an audio CD, nothing is working in it. When I go to device manager, it says that the device is working correctly and such, but no matter what, even in SAFE MODE, it's not reading my discs. Help please?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It done. The soda probably got into the mechanism and the optical eye on it.
The clunking sound is probably cause the gears have jumped
Nothing to do but replace it now. Sorry for the bad news. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 08:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the bright side they are not expensive to replace anymore
as low as 25.00 to get a new one. Thats a dvd cdrw drive

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. I figured that it was fried, but hey, it was worth a shot asking, anyway.

I've had nothing but problems with this laptop. The keyboard went out a year ago, then about 6 months back, it started having problems when I'd click a folder. It would freeze the task bar up and not unfreeze it. And now my dog's taken to spilling things on it.

I think it's just time for a new laptop. What do you think? Heh.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you are right. If you are seriously looking I can suggest a couple of sites to look for one if you want?

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'd appreciate that a lot. I'm about to start a new job, so I'll have some income to actually be ABLE to buy a new computer. So please, any help would be put to good use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
These are the two sites everyone here on geeks suggest. I personally like Tigerdirect better, but it's really up to you since you are the one spending the money. If you need any help in deciding just let me know. I build desktop systems all clones and custom configurations. I try to show people what they need depending on what they use it for. There are allot of choices so just take your time and get what you want not what you have to settle for.

Newegg

Tigerdirect

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just need something that'll support a lot of music, really. I take my laptop everywhere with me, and I need to have all my music files on it because it doubles as an extra mp3 player when I need it.

I save my heavy duty stuff like gaming and programming for my desktop, so yeah... Any off-the-top-of-your-head suggestions for a mostly-music laptop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets get soem ideals
What do you think you want to spend on one?
How big of a screen
Anything special other then music you want?
Do you prefer a Intel or a Amd cpu

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 08:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Leave me the following specs and I'll find a couple for you and post the links for ya.
I'm figuring 4 to 6 gigs of memory
400 gig hd at least
descent size monitor
what os system you want
How fast of a cpu
these things I can narrow down the choices more for you
I've got to catch some sleep so i'll post the links for you in the morning

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 April 2009 - 08:55 PM.

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
4-6 gigs of memory sound good, but I don't really need 400 gigs of HD space. I'm only taking up 50 gigs now for music and I'm pretty fine with what I have. So 200 gigs would probably be plenty, although 400 is still an open option.

Anywhere from a 12 to a 15 inch monitor is plenty for me.

A Windows OS, preferably XP, although I'd live with a Vista if need be.

I'm more of an Intel fan.

1.4 GHZ is a good cpu speed I suppose. Although since it's just music that's going to be on there, I'm not too picky.

Edited by euphorisch.menschenfeind, 01 April 2009 - 09:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good Morning
I have taken your specs and setup a list of laptops from tigerdirect for you to look at. I believe you can find one you like in the price range you want to spend.

Laptops