Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINDOWS XP START UP ISSUE

• Please log in to reply

olemissguy27

olemissguy27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Everyone I am about to give up so i thought id give you guys a try.

I have just had to purchase my 2nd hard drive in 4 months. The first one died on its own after about 3 years, the second died when i tripped over a cord pulling my computer off my desk where it smashed on the ground, the hard drive instantly started to make a strange beeping pattern noise and my computer no longer recognized it or the OS on it. I ordered a new one and just installed it. I put my recovery disk in to install windows and all seemed fine for the moment, after i completely updated it to service pack 3( all all other available updates), i tried to install some programs and i got the "this installation package could not be opened..." error for every setup.exe i tried to execute, i tried many solutions and wound up reformatting it thinking it could of been a bad installation of windows. This leads up to where i am now. Everything ran smoothly i updated it as far as i could, it allowed me to install this time, everything was working fine install symantec anti virus update that, then restarted the computer. This leads to the problem, the windows chime will sound(unlabored) and my toshiba satellite background shows up the icons on the desktop show up but it takes around about 10-15 mins for anything on the tray in the left corner to show up and nothing happens when i click the start tab on the taskbar, the cursor moves and it eventually freezes and must be forcefully turned off. I proceeded to run it on safe mode to see if it was the same. Safe mode works fine( i am typing this post from safemode). I tried uninstalling service pack 3 to see if thats what affected it but everytime i restart it and it boots up it does the same partial start up, sometimes the task bar is blue.

Sorry for the length but can anyone help me?

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello olemissguy27

How much RAM do you have ??? , is it adequate to run your OS( Operating system ) smoothly EG: XP , Vista... ??

IF SO...

Please try the following... one at a time ( to isolate the issue )

Goto : start > run > type: " Msconfig " without quotes ( " )

Select the start-up tab , un-select any you do not need running on start-up , you can start them manually later when they are needed

reboot , and check start-up performance

If no increase in boot time..

start > run > msconfig again.. and go to services tab , check box " Hide all microsoft services " , then de-select ALL boxes

NOTE: if you are running online/on the internet PLEASE enable the windows firewall ( as your firewall if one is installed other than the windows firewall will not be running at the point )

Reboot and check performance now...

IF still not running smooth

go back to system configuration utility again ( msconfig command ) , select BOOT.INI tab , then check box /NOGUIBOOT

, Reboot and check performance again...

Best of luck !!!

Anthony19

PS: as there is multiple issue that can cause bad performance i recommend you read artellos great post here : http://www.geekstogo...ow-t210685.html " What makes your computer slow

Edited:

PSS: I recommend you run Memtest to ensure your RAM module/'s is not defective ( sounds like the comp has had a rough life :) ) modules may have been damaged when computer was dropped

Located @ http://www.geekstogo...t86-file11.html , Run overnight if possible

Edited by Anthony19, 01 April 2009 - 08:45 PM.

olemissguy27

olemissguy27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you so much! when i disabled all services it loaded up smoothly and uninstalled the program i suspected was the problem i went back on msconfig and turned everything back on and it works great thank you so much again for your help!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
olemissguy27

Glad you got your issue fixed. Thank you for responding back. :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Job well done !

And as stated... Thank you for reply , Greatly appreciated !