Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp sp3 hangs during shutdown process

• Please log in to reply

Junmar74

Junmar74

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just recently installed windows xp sp2 on a restored computer. After installing the first batch of apps, i noticed that whenever it needed to shutdown or restart, it would not do so. I freezes at "windows is shutting down. I left it alone for a couple of hours but still would not shut down. THe only way to shut it down was to push the power button to reboot.

I tried the following steps to correct the problem: virus and malware scans, system restore, deleting contents of the temp folder, cleaned temporary internet files, installed sp3. All to no success. If someone has experienced this problem before and solved it please help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?