Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build post issues

• Please log in to reply

TechSlave

TechSlave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, I'm brand new to this site, and, well, I gotta say, I love it already. I've already solved one small problem in my new build. Hopefully you guys and gals can help me with the rest.

Here's what I have:
1:ASUS P5K Mobo
2:Antec 400w PSU
3:2x 1GB RAM (new/compatible)
4:BFG Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT vid card [New, just out of the box] (DVI > VGA converter)
5:Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
6:Old IDE 80GB WD HDD (Until I buy a 500GB sata)
7:CD/DVD drive (no IDE slot to plug into on this mobo? or am i missing it?)

Here's where I'm at:

I can get my computer to turn on, and stay on, all lights/ fans work, except for my CPU fan, it WORKS, just not on the 4pin its supposed to be on. I have to connect it to the 'pwr_fan' just off the side of my video card for it to run properly, and Im concerned that this will be a conflicting matter later on. Fan speed controls all work (side and top).

The HDD nor the CD drive are getting any power no matter where I connect them to, none of the power cables will work on them, yet the HDD works in my other computer just fine.

Along with my set of problems, at no point in the machine being on and running do I get any beep codes, nor do i get any video.

I'm suspecting one of three things;
1:Bad Motherboard. Based off earlier research into my mobo, the LGA 775 socket was known to have bent pins, though I checked, It's hard to tell whether or not there are any (it didnt seem like there were).

2: Bad CPU.
3: Bad vid card (or maybe i just did something wrong?) theres a small 2 pin connector off the side of the vid card, which i have no idea what its for, there weren't any cables that came with it that I saw in the box that were supposed to be connected to it. Right at the moment its only seated on the mobo with the 6pin ATX power connector on it.

Here's everything I've tried:
Earlier I reset my cmos/CLRTC which brought me to where I am now with no video and power only.
I checked my mobo screws to check for any shortage in the board

I CAN post images if requested.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is my first build, I'm learning a lot from it already.
Tech~

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard after reading a few posts, since I'm not getting any system beep codes, I'm assuming newegg sent me a bad mobo. and since it's past the 30day return/replacement, AND it's a deactivated item, I dont know if they'll rplace it or ill have to use what little money i have left to buy a new board.

Still though, I may be wrong, I'm honestly HOPING im wrong on this one, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Tech

Edited by TechSlave, 02 April 2009 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome.

It could be bad parts, or just a problem with the build. Have you followed this sticky?

Cheers

Troy

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi there, and welcome.

It could be bad parts, or just a problem with the build. Have you followed this sticky?

Cheers

Troy

Yup. That's how i got to where I am now.
Earlier Sarah was saying it might be a bad Video card, but it's brand new out of the box. My monitor cable has 2 pins missing from the VGA input cable, I thought maybe that might be a problem in the video feed when going into the DVI converter (there's two DVI slots on the vid card, DVI > VGA converter came with it).

Should I test it with another monitor? I'm pretty positive ill get the same result though.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The converter should be fine, the missing pins is normal as VGA doesn't use them.

As I understand it, you should have the motherboard sitting on something non-static (like some clean cardboard), with the CPU installed, thermal paste, heatsink and fan connected (to the proper connection, PWR_FAN is for the PSU fan sensor), one stick of RAM, and video card only if your motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

No hard drive, no optical drive, no floppy, no other add-on cards, no case.

PSU gets plugged in to motherboard and CPU power, then let 'er rip.

If you can't get steady POST here, it's definitely a hardware fault.

Troy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Similar to this:

Posted Image

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

The converter should be fine, the missing pins is normal as VGA doesn't use them.

As I understand it, you should have the motherboard sitting on something non-static (like some clean cardboard), with the CPU installed, thermal paste, heatsink and fan connected (to the proper connection, PWR_FAN is for the PSU fan sensor), one stick of RAM, and video card only if your motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

No hard drive, no optical drive, no floppy, no other add-on cards, no case.

PSU gets plugged in to motherboard and CPU power, then let 'er rip.

If you can't get steady POST here, it's definitely a hardware fault.

Troy

It's a dual channel board, I was told I had to have both stick in it for it to run, is that right? I have them in the 1&3 slots.
I'll take it out and try it right now and post results afterwards.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The RAM will run fine with just one stick, if it doesn't change, try swapping them around (different sticks and different slots).

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

The RAM will run fine with just one stick, if it doesn't change, try swapping them around (different sticks and different slots).

wait... how am i supposed to turn it on with no power switch?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Look in the motherboard manual, you'll see where the power switch is supposed to go in the front panel or F_PANEL section... Then just short the two pins together to create a simulated power button press. I use a small flat screwdriver and just briefly tap them and pull away, it usually fires up no worries.

Good fun.

I'll look up your manual now.

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Crap. Troy, I realized something, I think I burned out my PSU. The power LED on the motherboard comes on when I flick the switch on the PSU, but every time I tried testing it, I realized I hadn't connected the PSU fan to any power source, so now it smells.. well, like it fried itself. maybe I got lucky and it didnt, but I don't want to risk an over-voltage and fry my motherboard... unless i already have. in which case Im going to need a new PSU on top of a new mobo, a sata drive, and a cd drive.

Craaaaap. I feel so stupid xD;

GG.

Here's my mobo from newegg:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131180

Edited by TechSlave, 02 April 2009 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't understand what you're saying... If the PSU wasn't connected to any power source, then where did it get the power to fry itself?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Post a photo if you can, it helps when I can see.

I'm heading to bed shortly (almost midnight here), but I'll check up this thread in the morning if I get a chance.

I made a picture for you, too, in case you didn't get it before.

Posted Image

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry, what I'm saying is, when I took my motherboard out of the case, the PSU, and went to test it with just the Vid card and the mobo, when I hooked up the PSU to the board, I realized I haven't been connect the PSU fan power to the pwr_fan connector, so the fan hasnt been spinning keeping the power supply cool, so I think it fried itself. .. It really smells bad, it's been lingering for about 10 minutes now.

Do you think I should go buy a new one? The power light still comes on when i turn the power supply on.. I dont know if it normally does that when they're fried or not. It was smoking though, so I dont know. maybe i got it in time?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
While Troy is "napping", I will see if I can help. Sorry Troy. I just had to stick that in.

The PSU (power supply) has its own fan. Hooking up the connector to the sensor will have no effect at this time. Also, if the PSU unit is on the desk there should be sufficient cooling for a little while. I suspect that the PSU unit is bad.

The PSU sensor is just that. It is monitored by the bios, and any temperature sensing programs.

I would get another PSU. If what you had smoked, then it is bad. There are power supply testers available. They range from $8 to $15. I believe you can get one at Radio Shack also.
Google Link to Testers

Unfortunately, we will have to suspect anything that was hooked to it as being suspect also. We can not tell that till you get a new supply.

FYI: For information only. Power supplies can be "turned on" without being connected to the board. This is a way to test it and its voltages if you do not have a tester. It is more dangerous to do it this way. Also, there is no way to test the load on the supply, but this will allow an indication that the PSU will start and supply voltages.

There is no need to give you this info yet because your PSU smoked.

123Runner

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

While Troy is "napping", I will see if I can help. Sorry Troy. I just had to stick that in.

The PSU (power supply) has its own fan. Hooking up the connector to the sensor will have no effect at this time. Also, if the PSU unit is on the desk there should be sufficient cooling for a little while. I suspect that the PSU unit is bad.

The PSU sensor is just that. It is monitored by the bios, and any temperature sensing programs.

I would get another PSU. If what you had smoked, then it is bad. There are power supply testers available. They range from $8 to $15. I believe you can get one at Radio Shack also.
Google Link to Testers

Unfortunately, we will have to suspect anything that was hooked to it as being suspect also. We can not tell that till you get a new supply.

FYI: For information only. Power supplies can be "turned on" without being connected to the board. This is a way to test it and its voltages if you do not have a tester. It is more dangerous to do it this way. Also, there is no way to test the load on the supply, but this will allow an indication that the PSU will start and supply voltages.

There is no need to give you this info yet because your PSU smoked.

123Runner

I assume it was smoke, may just have been dust. but the smell makes me think it was smoke.
Ah,well. this gives me an excuse to run to frys and pick up a few things ;P
I suppose thats what I'm going to be doing today if i can get there.
for now im going to throw it back in the case and see if i cant get any sleep. Thanks for the help runner.