Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp install probles

• Please log in to reply

whatalegend

whatalegend

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just spen the last day trying to get one of my older pcs to start working.
It previously had ubuntu installed and would not allow me to install windows ontop because the GRUB stops it for some reason.
I completely wiped the HD using DBAN
Now i tried to install XP Home SP3 onto the computer and the installed went through fine until it came to the Input your windows cd key
I tryped in the ck key that is on the side of my computer (on the little yellow lable) and it said that my key was not valid!
I recchecked twice i had input the correct cd key but to no avail.
the computer had previously been installed with Home SP2 or very unlikely SP1.But i did not have a installed cd for this so i borrowed a SP3 off a friend.

Does any1 know of any reason why my cd key would not be accepted just because the installed is sp3? is there anyway i can change/alter my key to make it accepted>?anywhere i can find an iso of sp2 to try the cd key with that?

all comment appreciated
thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you borrowed the wrong kind of cd.... you need to look at the COA (the sticker with the product key on it) and see what type of install it's for...is it OEM or retail?...then you need to find a disk that matches that......also the SP level of the disk CAN matter (especially if it was originally an OEM install)..

there is NO WHERE online where you can legally obtain an XP cd (not sure why microsoft doesn't just let you download it if you've got a valid key...but dems da breaks)....if you can't find a disk that's the same version as your COA you may need to contact either microsoft or the manufacturer of your PC to see about obtaining a disk