Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital media card readers no longer work

• Please log in to reply

jerzee

jerzee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I reconnected my computer after moving recently, my media card readers no longer work. They don't show up under 'Devices with removable storage' in My Computer and the wizard no longer opens up when a card is inserted. Can anyone help with this?

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there,
You dont actually say wether or not your card reader is an internel or external device.

Assuming it is an internal reader with the card slots on the front of your pc, there is probably only one reason for your problem.
These types of internel card readers have a usb cable coming from them which goes onto a usb connector on the motherboard and it sounds like yours has worked loose during the move.
Depending what you knowledge of the interior of a pc is, , or how comfortable you ar at taking the side off your pc and re connecting the cable i would suggest trying to fix it yourself first before taking it to a repair shop. Unless the repair man is a good freind of yours i would suggest having a go yourself as most shops will either recommend fitting a new reader or charging you an hourly rate just to simply re conncect a cable.

Most all but the cheapest of motherboards will have at least 2 or 3 spare usb ports scattered about on them. The legth of the cable may give you a hint as to how far it streches, , and look for a usb port to connect it to.

Its the most obvious reason why its not working at all or showning up in device manager, and once the side is off your pc, it will be a ten seckond job to repair.

Please make sure you pc is completly off and unplugged befor taking of the side and please be carefull not to touch anything else on the motherboard when you go to investigate.
It really is a simple job and will save you money going to a shop. Its exactly like plugging in a usb cable to your pc and the ports on the motherboard are exactly the same size and connect exactly the same way, , just simply reconnect it and you should be good to go.
If its still connected when you investigate, , then i would consider buying and fitting a new one yourself, , but honestly, i bet you its just worked loose and will take seckonds to resolve. It will take you longer getting the side off than it will finding and reconnecting the cable.

Good luck, , let me know how you get on,,

Cheers, , Kev