Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to make a build close less than 800 bucks

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have chosen the following parts. Any and all recommendations are welcome.
cpu
case
psu
mobo I was trying to find a DDR3 compatible mobo and found this one. They are all so expensive.
ram
hdd
optical
I don't know what type of graphics card I should get. Preferably less than 100 bucks. Any recommendations?
maybe this gfx card? I might just end up using the onboard gfx card. Not sure yet.
I am just gonna use the onboard sound card so that I don't have to buy one.
monitor

Lemme know what you guys think.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What reason on you picking an i7 mobo and cpu? You said you want to spend less than $100 on a graphics card, so I'm assuming you will not be using this to game.

Also, it is very hard to build an i7 for less than 800. May not even be possible.

You didn't list an Operating System (OS) Have you already purchased one?

What are the specifications of your current computer?

Name and Model of your Computer:

Operating System, RAM(memory), Processor:

Go to Start >> Right Click on My Computer >> Select Properties >> Your OS, RAM, and Processor will be listed under the General Tab.

Graphics Card (if it applies):

Let me know the answer to all of these questions, and then we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Edit: Explain what you will be using the computer for.

Edited by Ferrari, 02 April 2009 - 04:48 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
ok so I already have built myself a pc with these specs. I made this 3-4 years ago and would like to upgrade the mobo, cpu, and ram.
gfx card
psu
amd 64x2 dual core processor 4400+ 2.21 GHz
Vista Ultimate.
ram

I use this current system for gaming and just want it to be faster. Also, I don't know what i7 means. I guess I want to use the i7 components for my computer. The computer that I am building is for my dad; he will be using it for just daily stuff (nothing special like video processing or gaming). I am going to use my old cpu, and mobo for his computer. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Edited by cheema, 02 April 2009 - 06:52 PM.

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am no expert a video I saw said that core i7 used a tri channel structure so you would need three sticks of ram. here is a link to the video

http://www.corsair.c....aspx?id=875118

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi cheema,

What you are trying to do is much more complex than you may think. IF you are wanting to go with Intel's latest and greatest technology (i7) then you will also need to upgrade to a power supply that is i7 certified, not to mention the core i7 cpu will draw more power as well. Also, switching the hard drive to recognize the new mobo's drivers can prove to be difficult at times. I've never changed the mobo in a system, so I don't know much more than that.

Your computer

The graphics card you have listed is rather dated as well. Are you wanting to have a faster computer in general? Or, are you wanting it to perform better for gaming? The reason I ask is that your processor isn't that slow(there is room for improvement though), but your graphics card is slow and you only have 2gb of RAM which would affect gaming and even regular computer tasks if you multi-task a lot. i.e. have several programs open at once, have several tabs open in your browser. It wouldn't make any sense to have a i7 cpu and mobo with an old 8800 GT as the graphics card since you game. Even the next step down from the i7 technology (the Intel Core 2 Quad) would be overkill if you are going to keep the 8800 GT. So you need a new Graphics card too.

Dad's Computer.

Remember, you will need to buy another Operating System for his build. If you wanted to go cheaper I think I saw an ad for Windows XP on Newegg for a little less than $100. That will cut a $100 off your budget right from the get go.

I need to have a link to your mobo to know what form factor it is so I can know if it needs to be a Micro ATX case, or not. Then I can recommend a power supply for that build. The link to your mobo will also let me know if he will need a graphics card(cheap one) if your mobo does not have an on-board integrated video. If it has on-board then that is all your Dad will need for regular computer usage.

So, is the monitor for you are your Dad's computer? Are you upgrading yours, and giving him the old one?

Provide as much details as you can because it will help me a lot. I have tons of ideas for you and your Dad, but I need more info. Please answer the questions I have asked that are in bold.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Wait, the 8800 GTX is outdated already? I bought that sucker for 500 bucks :) The only reason I say that is cuz you kept mentioning 8800GT and I have a GTX

Also, I have changed mobo's before cuz my old one got wet somehow (I know it was my sister, grr) and the hdd didn't have trouble recognizing the new mobo's drivers.

I want my computer to be faster in general and for gaming. I say that because when I played the new UT my system couldn't handle it. I built my friend a computer with the exact same gfx card but he had 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and a quad core cpu. That is why I thought that maybe if I upgrade the cpu (but that would require me to upgrade the mobo and if I am gonna upgrade the mobo might as well get better and more ram) I will be able to see a performance increase.

As for the OS for my dad's build there is a really good deal at my school for Operating Systems so I am not too worried about that.

My current Mobo is MSI K8N Neo4 MS-7125 (v1.X) ATX Mainboard [Model NO.: K8N Neo4 Platinum] I tried to look and think this might be the link to the mobo. It's a non-SLI mobo. I still have the box that it came in and the manual so if you need some info that is in the manual let me know (be specific cuz I went through it and didn't really know what I was looking at).

My monitor right now is a 24 inch Dell. I am going to keep my monitor; I like it a lot. I am just going to buy him a 17-19 inch LCD.

And right now all the stuff is in this case.

Edited by cheema, 02 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Also, switching the hard drive to recognize the new mobo's drivers can prove to be difficult at times. I've never changed the mobo in a system, so I don't know much more than that.

If you're switching the motherboard, it has been suggested to do at least a repair install of your OS and then reinstall all the drivers for the motherboard. For me though, I'd rather reinstall the OS just to be on the safe side. Of course, by reinstalling the OS, you lose all the data that is in your C drive unless you back them up.

So question for you cheema, the $800 would be for a whole one system? or you're saying its going to be like this:
Motherboard, CPU, RAM for your 3-4 year old gaming system
PSU, case, video card, hard drive, DVD drive, and OS for your dad

If that's true then $800 is cutting it close if you want Intel Core i7 processor (just like Ferrari mentioned).

The graphics card you have listed is rather dated as well.

It is dated (its 8800 GTX) however performance isn't that bad, it performs better than 9800GT and in the same league with 9800GTX (it was also mentioned before that 8800GTX is actually faster than this one) and 9800GTX+ so if graphics isn't really a problem but more of programs taking so long to load to do anything I suggest to upgrade the RAM. I had 2GB of RAM on my Vista first and I actually hated it. I then gave it a chance and upgraded to 4GB and its working so great now.

There's not enough room to upgrade the CPU on your old one so its a good idea to give it to your dad. Socket 939 compatible CPU are very hard to come by (read: Expensive and outdated). I however will suggest an AMD Phenom II rather than an Intel Core i7 for you though. My reason would be:
- Your budget is too low
- Future Proof (you don't need to replace your AM2+ motherboard to get AM3 CPU because some motherboards will support it with a BIOS flash)
- AMD is not bad and for the price, they're quite good performers

Kamille

EDITED the one in italic.

Edited by kamille316, 02 April 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks for more info cheema. :)

I asked Kamille to come in and help for your upgrade.

As far as your Dad's computer goes everything you listed above: Case, Monitor, HDD, etc is compatible and all. You had originally asked for recommendations so here is some suggestions to help save money so you can maximize your upgrade to your computer.

The HDD is good for the price. Best I could find for the price.

You don't need to spend $100 on your Dad's computer case. Look at these:

CoolerMaster Mid-Tower CASE

Thermaltake Wings Mid-Tower CASE

Here is an ACER monitor that is comparable to the HP one you linked to. It could save you $10 and has similar, if not better specs.

ACER MONITOR

According to the specs that I found when I researched the motherboard you listed, and the one you linked to, it does not have on board video. So you will have to use a graphics card. You can use the one you have in your system right now if you decide to upgrade, or here is one that is cheap and will do the job for your Dad.

EVGA Video Card

I think the best option, (if you don't use the 8800 GTX for you Dad's computer) is too look on craigslist for a cheap used video card, or pick a cheap used one up at a local computer shop.

I have heard good things about OCZ Power Supplies, but I think you don't need one that expensive or powerful. Antec and SeaSonic are reliable too. Here...(all 500Watts)

OCZ

SeaSonic

Antec

Add more RAM if your Dad complains about it being too slow. I couldn't find any DDR 2 675 PC 2 5400 other than 512mb sticks. However, with that said, all the motherboards that come up(even on MSI's website) when I search for the model number you gave don't require DDR2 675 PC 2 5400, so I don't know.

And, optical drives are all about the same. I'm currently going to use a Samsung in my build this summer, but that is because it doesn't have the white writing the LG one has. So I recommend Samsung, or LG personally from years of buying other products from them. You may want to find out from you Dad if he even needs a CD burner or DVD burner capabilities.

Look at this one that only reads cd's and dvd's LG DVD ROM It is SATA, I don't know if you currently are using IDE or SATA for your drives.

Well, that's about it for me. Listen to Kamille if she wants to change anything, and let her know what you decide so you can have a budget for your upgrade.

Good Luck cheema. Let me know if you have any questions! I will continue to watch the thread and keep an eye on things.

Cheers!

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
@kamillie

I'm saying that it should be like this:
Motherboard, CPU, RAM for your 3-4 year old gaming system
PSU, case, video card, hard drive, DVD drive, and OS for your dad

What would my budget need to be if I wanted to build an i7 pc?

AMD Phenom II sounds good. However, which one should I get?

Your idea about getting new RAM got me thinking. Would I even need to change my cpu, mobo, and all that stuff on MY computer if I simply got more RAM? Would that solve my problem of the new Unreal Tournament not running fast enough? For example, if I just got 2 more Gigs would I be good to go. I am just saying that cuz I want to know if it is even worth going up to AMD Phenom II if I won't notice that much of a differrence.

@Ferrari
Thx for telling kamillie that I needed help and thanks for helping me yourself :)
And I think the CoolerMaster Mid-Tower CASE, ACER lcd monitor, EVGA video card, and LG optical drive seem perfect!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

@Ferrari
Thx for telling kamillie that I needed help and thanks for helping me yourself smile.gif
And I think the CoolerMaster Mid-Tower CASE, ACER lcd monitor, EVGA video card, and LG optical drive seem perfect!

Not a problem at all and I'm glad you like the suggestions. The quote above is the only payment I ever ask for. Well worth it. :)

Remember, providing as much detail as you can will help the volunteer help you better. Don't ever be afraid to make a long post. I'm sorry I had to ask so many questions at first. Good Luck with everything!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
By the way cheema,

You have mentioned the word "slow" a few times in this topic. Take a look at this article by Artellos. What makes your machine slow? The recommendations can really improve speed and performance.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Your idea about getting new RAM got me thinking. Would I even need to change my cpu, mobo, and all that stuff on MY computer if I simply got more RAM? Would that solve my problem of the new Unreal Tournament not running fast enough? For example, if I just got 2 more Gigs would I be good to go. I am just saying that cuz I want to know if it is even worth going up to AMD Phenom II if I won't notice that much of a differrence.

Well here's the System Requirements for Unreal Tournament 3:
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
- 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
- 512 Mbytes of System RAM
- NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
- 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended System Requirements
- 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core Processor
- 1 GBytes of System RAM
- NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+ Video Card
- 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Your CPU is almost the recommended System Requirements, if I were you and don't want to spend a lot of money, I suggest you go buy more RAM first (NOTE: If you go with Core i7 build, you won't be able to re-use this DDR2 RAM because the motherboard only supports DDR3) and see if that changes anything. If it does then you saved some money that you didn't need to spend. However if it doesn't help then I'd say it is the CPU.

This is basically the setup Ferrari recommended you plus the hard drive and a different power supply.

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 330 - $39.99
Video Card: EVGA 128-P2-N428-LR GeForce 7200GS 512MB - $24.99
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W - $59.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB - $47.99
DVD-ROM: LG Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DH16NS10 - OEM - $16.99
Monitor: Acer V173 b Black 17" 5ms LCD Monitor - $99.99

Here's my recommendation for your upgrades:

With a Core i7 build (better build)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX - $199.99
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA Quad-Core - $288.99
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit - $89.99

Total is $867.92 (including your Dad's computer)

An AMD build
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX - $139.99
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core - $195.99
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit - $49.99

Total is $675.91 (including your Dad's computer)

If you're willing to go over $800 (there are some mail-in-rebates though), the Core i7 is definitely the better build but if you want to save money then the AMD would better fit you.

Here's a review I found of AMD's Phenom II X4 940 and 920. These CPUs are suppose to go head to head with Intel's Core 2 Quad so you shouldn't compare Phenom II X4 with the Core i7 because they're not on the same league. If you're upgrading for just UT3, then the AMD build should definitely be able to handle this game with no problem. This build should be good for a few years (perhaps around 2 or more years, still depends on games you want to play).

Hope that helps.
Kamille

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
thx kamillie. Breaking it down like that helps me out a LOT. I am going to try the RAM thing at first and then go from there.

One last thing. I am looking for two wireless newtorking cards for the desktops. Any recommendations? I found these two on newegg. They only had those two. If there are better ones (with better rating cuz these two both had 4 stars) out there on a different website let me know.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Cheema,

I am not really familiar with wireless cards but this is the one I'm using D-Link WDA-2320 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Rangebooster G Desktop Adapter.
My advice is to get a PCI adapter instead of a USB stick one. I have both and the USB disconnects quite often (even though its closer to the router) because it overheats too fast. The one above was fairly easy to install. Didn't have a problem with drivers on both XP and Vista.

Take a look at the Wireless Adapters from D-Link, Linksys, and Trendnet. They usually have good ones available.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 03 April 2009 - 01:42 PM.