Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering software from one system to another

• Please log in to reply

Carney

Carney

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can someone tell me if it possible to copy software from one computer onto another? This is not about pirating of anything else illegal or shady, it is about trying to transfer software from my old system onto my new system. I know how to transfer files, but not software. If anyone knows how to do this and can post some instructions, I’d be very thankful.

Current System:
Windows XP –SP2

New System:
Vista Ultimate

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Carney. Welcome to GeekstoGo!

It really depends on the software. For example, an Anti-Virus Program you purchase can only be used on the computer you buy it for, you can't transfer it to more than one computer.

However, Quickbooks can be. You simple install the software on the new computer and then transfer the data file(don't know the exact term) into quickbooks on the new computer from the old computer.

Your best bet is to google for each software's website. Go to their website and see if they have that question answered under their FAQ's. If not, you can always contact them via phone or email and ask what their policy is.

Hope that helps,

Carney

Carney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My apologies – my question was not phrased clearly. What I want to do is to transfer the actual program from one computer to another. Let me explain it a bit clearer: I need to move Photoshop CS3 from my old computer to my new computer. When CS3 came out I purchased the update version because I already owned a license to CS2. When I went to install the update on my then new computer (former “old” computer) I needed to reinstall the original version –CS2 – in order for the update to recognize that version and permit the update. Unfortunately, several months previous to this, my laptop computer along with various pieces of software – including the CS2 CD – was stolen. Because I owned a valid license to CS2 and CS3, Adobe permitted me to download the trial version of CS3 from the website and then activate it using my valid license #. End of that problem.

I now have a new computer and need to install PS3 again. However, this time Adobe no longer has a download for CS3 available and I can’t figure out how to install an update when I no longer have access to the older version to be updated. When I go to install the program looks for the previous version which is not installed so the update will not install. Does this make sense or have I totally confused everyone?

Bottom Line: I need to get Photoshop CS3 on my new system without having to install the previous version (to which I do not have the CD) and without having to purchase another version.

I really appreciate the help -

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah I understand what you are saying now. It is pretty similar to how Quickbooks works from when I helped someone the other day with it. However, I do understand the situation, but it may be best for you read some or all of the FAQ's, End User License Agreement, visit the activation center, adobe announce upgrade policy, installation on multiple machines, the entire "Installing Software" section and scroll up to the "Software Trials" section of this link...

Adobe Support

Here is a link for their Customer Support. You may want to contact them and see what they say, or what they can do for you.

As you mentioned, the PS3 seems to be no longer available on their site, yet the upgrade requires it's previous installation. They may have to mail you a cd or link you to somewhere we don't know about to download the older version.

That above link that I titled Adobe Support should help with some of the questions and their customer support should be able to get something done for you especially since you are a current customer.

I guess in short, if the update/upgrade requires a previous version then you have to somehow get that previous version. Or, have them provide you will a complete install of PS4 that will let you use your old license number, or they may just issue you a new license number at no charge because of your unique situation.

I would think they would be willing to work with you, but you never know.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2009 - 01:52 PM.

Carney

Carney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help. I have contacted Adobe, but as I’ve learned in the past, they can be somewhat slow in responding. I really need to get the new system up and running with PS – but, I guess I’ll have to wait until Adobe responds. I suspect you are right that they will work with me to find a solution. I do wonder how all of this is supposed to work: do people keep their copies of old software just so that if they get a new system they can install the newer update? I suppose the time for asking that would have been before I tossed the old software some years ago! I know, again from past experience, that I can install the trail copy of PS CS4 and use my old license #, but then I will have to purchase CS4 in thirty days – something I would like to avoid. Anyway, thank you, again, for your help. I’ll post again once I have a response from Adobe.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm glad to have helped. I think I helped :)

Always keep your software CD's. Especially your Operating Systems CD!