Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to run some applications on Normal Boot

• Please log in to reply

toiletduck

toiletduck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using Windows XP SP3 pro and I've been having trouble launching some of my programs like mspaint, movie maker and msconfig when I log in. Every time I try starting them, my mouse cursor temporarily change into busy mode then nothing happens. No new window, and no error messages. However, when I check the "Processes" tab in the "Task Manager", I can see them running in the background. If I try to launch them again, it will just add another entry in the "Processes" tab of the "Task Manager."

I tried looking into the Event Viewer but can't seem to find any error in the entries. I can run mspaint and msconfig in safe mode. I tried disabling all entries in the startup tab and all non windows application in the services tab of msconfig but it's still no good.

I can access other applications like notepad, run services.msc and regedit. My virus definitions are up to date and I tried scanning my computer for any infection, but it didn't find any. I tried scanning for any malware, spyware and any rootkits installed in my system but it still not allowing me to launch some programs like mspaint, movie maker and msconfig. Please help.

Thank you very much

Edited by toiletduck, 02 April 2009 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

toiletduck

toiletduck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did that already.

I tried disabling all entries in the startup tab and all non windows application in the services tab of msconfig but it's still no good.

However, I can only access msconfig in safe mode. After the restart, it still won't allow me to run those programs in normal boot. Also, the msconfig window still won't show (in the normal boot of windows). I don't know why :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Are you sure, the computer is free of malwares?
What security programs do you use?

toiletduck

toiletduck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I've done an in-depth scan with Nod32, a full sweep with Spysweeper, a full scan using Trojan hunter, a full scan with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. I can provide logs if that would help :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I believe you.

Let's try to run system file checker.

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

toiletduck

toiletduck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried running sfc /scannow with my windows CD in the drive. After it's done verifying all protected window files in my system, for some reason, it didn't have any folder inside C:\Windows\Logs nor it didn't have any CBS.log file. It only has DirectX.log

Still, I tried running msconfig or mspaint after the process but they still didn't work :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry, one sentence was missing from my manual. That CBS.log applies to Vista only.

As for your problem, try Windows repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

toiletduck

toiletduck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I'll try this procedure then. Thanks for all your help! :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)