Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Protection

• Please log in to reply

General Joy

General Joy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi.

My sorry tale is this.
Last week my AVG antivirus bleats that I am infected. I check all the delete buttons but I'm overwhelmed with pop-ups.

So I download spybot and ad-aware SE and they clean up infections they identify but I've still got problems so I shell out for PC Tools Spyware Doctor but that is no good.

Then I find this site and read some of your solutions and for a few days things are OK. But yesterday my homepage is totally hijacked and I can't access my hotmail or ebay.

So I nuked the system and spent the rest of the day rebuilding. I've installed Aw-aware Se, Spybot, spyware doctor and AVG.

But it seems that these programmes are OK at detecting and doing SOME cleaning, but what's the best way of preventing the [bleep]s from getting on the system.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The best way is not to download crap from the internet you do not completely trust. Downloading anything is always somewhat of a gamble. If you browse with IE you are increasing your chances of getting infected because these [bleep]s exploit its vulnerabilites. If you use IE, immunize it with Spybot. Firefox is a better choice. You need to do regular scans and cleanup. Lots of programs out there. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot. I also run Xcleaner. You need a good AV and keep it up to date. Also keep you windows updates current. :tazz: