Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel 2007 on Vista Slow typing

• Please log in to reply

keizerna

keizerna

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am running Vista and Excel 2007. I use this just to type in info - I have rows and press tab as I enter the data across the row. Lately it has been extremly slow and I am waiting after I press tab for the next cell to be ready to type in. Then I am typing the info faster than it appears in the cell. Any ide?as on how to speed this up?

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Just slow in Excel? Or other programmes as well?

If just Excel, how large is the spreadsheet? Does it have many calculations or complicated formulae?

keizerna

keizerna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just excel is slow. It is not that big of a spreadsheet, I don't think. However, I just checked in a blank spreadsheet and it is way faster. It seems like it is just this one spreadsheet, I never thought to check that before. Maybe I will start a new one for next month and it will be faster. Thanks for the idea.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Try switching to manual calculation to see if that helps.

Tools > Options > Calculation tab
Click the Manual radio button

Check if typing is faster. If it is, then something is being calculated each time you enter data into a cell.

The spreadsheet can be left on manual calculation. To update the spreadsheet either press F9 or save the spreadsheet.