Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting 2 computers to internet via D-link switch

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
i have 2 pretty much identical computers both running VISTA.
recently i bought a D-Link Switch (DES-1005D/8D?? i think)
i have optus cable net and a motorolla SB4200 Cable Modem.

seperatly both computers are able to connect to the cable modem with no problem, and internet works fine on them.

but when i connect the computers to the D Link Switch only one of them is able to access the internet.

i have my modem connected to the DLink switch and both computers connected to the DLINK switch all by ethernet cable.
i have tried the power cycle thing turning off everything and then turning them all on in order.
1. Modem
2. dlink
3.computers

But the problem is that whichever computer is turned on first gets the internet connection and the other one cant find a connection to connect to.

they are both able to successfully connect to the internet via the router but not at the same time.

i called optus and they said sometinhg about Dynamic and Static IP's and couldnt supply anymore information but i wasnt sure what they were talking about and DLINK support costs $40 per question, so asking here.

does anyone have any idea how to get both my computers connected at the same time.
THank you

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey BS_1,

Some ISP's limit the number of machines you can connect, so that even if you're behind a switch/router, you'll still be unable to get a connection on more than one machine (which might have been what they were referring to when they were talking about static IP's).

However, let's have a look-see. When both machines are connected to the switch (and presumably only one has an Internet connection) please do the follow, on both machines, and post the results.
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
thanks for the help but i decided to just return the Switch to the store and bought a Router which instantly worked. thanks anyway you can close this thread

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Good thinking :)

Thanks for letting us know how you managed to resolve your issue(s); feedback is always appreciated.