Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with reformatting windows XP home edition

• Please log in to reply

farahm2

farahm2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey people, im having a little trouble reformatting my computer. So i need to get to that blue screen which lists all the partitions and has the options to create and delete partitions. I went to the bios options and changed the order of the boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM first. I had already inserted my Dell reinstallation cd beforehand. So when i restarted my computer, it shows a black screen and at the top of that screen it says "Please select the operating system to start," and the only two options were Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. When i start windows xp home edition, it just starts my computer up normally. When i selected the other one, it took me to a completely black screen, and there was a little white cursor blinking at the top left hand corner. I could not type anything or click escape or enter or anything. Every time i pressed a button on my keyboard, it made a beep sound and that was it. So i was forced to manually shut down my computer.

Anybody know what is going on? And how do i get to the proper Windows Reformat screen?

Edited by farahm2, 03 April 2009 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello farahm2...

Are you going into the actual BIOS Setup to change the boot priority...or are you changing it from the Dell boot device screen?

wannabe1