Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios to black screen

• Please log in to reply

gianthobbit

gianthobbit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This has happened now four in the last few days. Both times my WIFI connection totally drops and nothing I do can fix it in Windows. So I do a restart to see if that resolves it. I get the Dell BIOS screen straight to a black screen. The cursor in the upper left flashes ever so briefly you almost miss it. Right to black... I used my xp cd to do get into the recovery console, a chkdsk says "no errors" but when I force it to do a full scan it say it found one or more problems and when I reboot it works, what could this be.
This all started happening after I got a couple blue screen errors about memory errors, when I restarted from them it said “a window has recovered from a fatal error”. The program that caused the blue errors was a exe that is not installed on my pc, just a click to run type thing.
This is my work PC and I can’t

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you know what the error codes on the blue screens were?
This can help identify the source of the problem.
http://www.memtest.o...6 -2.11.iso.zip
Download the file above and unzip it. You should get a file that has the extension .iso
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html
Download this, and load up the iso file you got earlier. Burn it to a disc using this program at a slow speed (1X)

Once you have the CD, you should take out all sticks of RAM from your computer except one.
Boot from the disc, and run the memory test for at least 7 passes.
After this test passed or failed, try the other stick of RAM (if there is another).
You might want to run the test overnight.

Reply with the results.

gianthobbit

gianthobbit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just did some searching, one of the sticks is barried in the laptop (2gigs) I would have to take every thing apart. I could take out the easy to access 1 gig stick that is at the bottom, I am going to run the test with the main 2 gigs right now. Do you recommend I tear this thing apart to remove the 2 Gigs inside to run the test on the 1 gig that is below?

gianthobbit

gianthobbit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Do you know what the error codes on the blue screens were?
This can help identify the source of the problem.
http://www.memtest.o...6 -2.11.iso.zip
Download the file above and unzip it. You should get a file that has the extension .iso
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html
Download this, and load up the iso file you got earlier. Burn it to a disc using this program at a slow speed (1X)

Once you have the CD, you should take out all sticks of RAM from your computer except one.
Boot from the disc, and run the memory test for at least 7 passes.
After this test passed or failed, try the other stick of RAM (if there is another).
You might want to run the test overnight.

Reply with the results.

edge2022 I ran the memtest with the internal 2gig stick in, I left the other easy to reach 1 gig out. Ran the test with no errors, rebooted and same thing, bios to black screen. Did a chkdsk and fixed again, i am not the most knowledgeable on this but with chkdsk working every time to fix the issue wouldnt it be a hard drive issue? How do I test for this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
are you running chkdsk or chkdsk /r