Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An Easy One, about uploading an image in my topics

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi everyone,

So I feel a little silly asking this, but I cannot figure out how some people upload an image to where when you click on it the image just opens in a smaller window but is still enlarged. Right now I use image shack, but as you can see if you click on my sample below, it takes you to image shack. How do I just get it to pop up that seperate window like I see so many others do? Whenever I do it the "normal" way, my image is always to large to be uploaded.

What I really need is a program(I guess) that resizes the image to under 100kb so I can upload it instead of having to copy and paste the link to show up as the small image that when clicked sends you to image shack.

Do you see what I'm asking? I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this.

Thanks,

Here is the sample of how I do it now.

Posted Image

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi Ferrari,

if you link right to the image you will get this

Posted Image

the only way you get to click on the reduced image and make it bigger is if you try to post an image that is to big and the forum software reduces it.

Microsoft office picture manager does a good job of resizing pictures.

let me know if thats not what you meant. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No that is not what I meant.

Go here. and click on the desktop with the monkeys. (From "Show your Desktop" on Geekstogo.

See how it just pops up in that small window?

If I took a picture of my desktop like everyone did in that forum and uploaded it, it always says something like "upload failed, image was to big".

When I want to show someone in a topic I'm helping with a picture, or if I need help and need to post an error message, How do I get it to just pop up like it did in the link I gave you? I think there may be more problems, because the forum doesn't automatically resize mine. It always says upload failed.

Thanks,

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I just thought of something... if you mean uploading pictures have a look here How to upload an image to G2G and include it in your post :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
just testing this to see if this works

Attached Thumbnails

• Katie.JPG

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I just read that a few minutes ago, that is sort of what prompted me to post this topic. This is what happens when I try to do it the "normal" way that link suggests.

Error Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space

I click on the manage current attachments and it says...

There are no items currently

Is something wrong with my computer? It always acts fine and this problem didn't just happen. I tried doing it that way a long time ago and Artellos recommended image shack when I asked him how do I post a picture that he had requested me to post. After time has gone by and now that I'm a more experienced user at Geekstogo I have noticed that even brand new people upload stuff the way I don't know how to!!!!!! :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
is the above post like what you meant?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

is the above post like what you meant?

YES! How do I do that?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
all I did was upload it instead of posting it, you only get a total of 2MB in your account to upload attachments. Do you have to many already, if so you might need to remove some. That why its easier to use the free hosting sites.

how big is what your trying to upload?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
testing this as well

didn't work picturetrail re sized it on the upload

Edited by BHowett, 03 April 2009 - 01:05 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is what it says next to the upload button on Geekstogo.

Max. single upload size: 100K

My file that I'm using as a test is 900kb

You said...

you only get a total of 2MB in your account to upload attachments

Under "My Controls" I have a total of "76K" when I add up the 4 attachments, but they were just text attachments from a HJT Startup List.

I think I have the way you do it correct, but my picture is 900K and the maximum single upload is only 100K according to what it says next to the upload button. Do I need to change my settings?

Thanks,

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Double up

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2009 - 01:09 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
jj

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2009 - 01:09 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
jj

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2009 - 01:08 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Dont ask

Edited by Ferrari, 03 April 2009 - 01:08 AM.