Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about task priority

• Please log in to reply

Krautz

Krautz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
How does Windows decide which tasks are foreground and which are background (for processor scheduling)? Is it that whichever window is maximized or in focus, a foreground application?

Nevermind--I was actually looking to tell which processes were foreground and which were background, but I read that the tasks listed as "Applications" in Task Manager are foreground.

Edited by Krautz, 03 April 2009 - 02:37 AM.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Krautz

process works in background and is started by the system,
while application works in foreground and is started by the user

This may break it down to you more reasonably

Applications are a set of programs designed for a performing specific jobs or applications. for example , MS Word is a word processor application.

Process refers to performing of a job given to a computer by the user or other applications

Ripped from: http://wiki.answers....n_and_a_process ( More info Found here )

Too lazy to type it out :) ( Don't have time )

Anthony19

Edited : Good to see you Worked it out...

Edited by Anthony19, 03 April 2009 - 02:44 AM.

Krautz

Krautz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi.

A process is not limited to being launched by the system. An application launched by a user is not limited to a being run as a foreground application. Most applications consist of only one process, however can launch other processes. A process is just an executable.

What I was wondering is: which processes does Windows gives foreground priority to (of course only if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl is set to 1 or 2), and how do I determine which processes are running with foreground priority.

The answer, as I understand it, is that only the processes within the applications under the "Applications" tab in Task Manager are running with foreground priority. So basically, any task launched by the user, excluding programs launched at startup.